Noise

Old 10-24-02, 08:21 AM
CHESTER34
Visiting Guest
Question Noise

I have gas fired boiler with cast iron baseboard radiators. When
heater comes on I hear water rushing and then banging coming from the baseboard radiators. I have been told this is air in the system. If this is true how do I bleed them? At all of the elbows in the basement there is a nut with a screw head inside the nut. In
each section of the baseboard there is the same configuration.I
would assume this is were I bleed the system, but what is the correct way? When I do this should the circulator be running? How
do I know when all the air is out? Is there a starting point ? I'm
sure I can do this with the proper direction. Thank You
chet

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-02, 10:39 AM
boiler bleed

To bleed this boiler you are right its the little screw's and you can have a small bleeder that you need a squar key like for.With the pump and boiler on. take a little can or pan and start at the lowest one first. open it and let it run till it doesn't spit at you just water. Then on to the next one and so on till you are at the highest one. then start all over again so you get water out of all of them.I take it you have an autofill on the boiler and the water is turned on ED

Old 10-25-02, 02:17 AM
CHESTER34
Visiting Guest
I GUESS

Ed thank you for your help! I don't know if I have a autofill valve.
What do I look for??? The system is about eight years old.

Chet

Old 10-25-02, 08:18 AM
boiler

There should be a so called autofill to the boiler. It will keep the boiler full of water.You should see a water line going to the boiler and it will have a regulator on it then too the boiler this is the auto fill and if there is a valve in it, it should be on.As you bleed the boiler this should let more water in it. Now the screws in the basement, they can be what is called a flow valve and you dont bleed them if so. Dont know just what you have there in the basement.Now on the ends of each baseboard there should be a bleeder. It can be a screw on it or like i said it can have a little squar in it that you need a so called key for it to let the air out ED