Wheel or Drain Bypass Humidifier?

Old 10-26-02, 09:51 AM
rvitek
Visiting Guest
Wheel or Drain Bypass Humidifier?

Hello! I have a gas fired forced air furnace that I'm looking to add a humidifier to. Where I work, we sell both wheel bypass and drain bypass types, and they differ about $30 (we have that Autoflo steamer too, but wow! $$$!). Which one should I get? Does it really matter?

Thanks!

Ry.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-02, 11:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
water

First how hard or bad is your water there. The steam one is very very good. But if the water is HARD or a lot of Stuff in it you can have a hard time keeping the parts clean. The wheel bypass works good ,if the water is bad get a couple more of the filters for the wheel. ED

Old 10-26-02, 06:52 PM
Go with the Drain By-pass style. if your water is hard, the float may not shut off and then your going to have water over flowing into the furnace, and will cause damage to it.. Also, with the tray with water sitting in there. in time it going to grow germs and bacteria..

With the drain by-pass style, it's flushing the system/filter all the time so it keeps it clean in a way. and not collecting germs and bacteria..

The wheel type, you may need to change that more often then the drain style.. Also you have a couple extra parts to worry about going out on you vs the drain style. Drain style may use a little extra water but in the long run it's worth it.

When you do get these units. just make sure your not setting the humdity up way too high in the cold areas up north.

Old 10-26-02, 08:59 PM
rvitek
Visiting Guest
Awesome, thanks for your replies! I've decided on an Autoflo model 250 is this a good choice?

If I had the $450, I'd get the steam, but $95 for the 250 is much more up my alley!

I'm a semi-advanced DIYer, can I install this myself or just pay a pro?

Thanks again!

Old 10-26-02, 10:23 PM
An avg person should be able to do it themself.. Just read the papers with it on how to install this... Should be pretty easy to do it on newer furnaces being most of them have a termal hook up for it on the control board.

Old 10-27-02, 03:15 PM
rvitek
Visiting Guest
Thanks again Jay - I'll let you know how it goes!