Heat Pump Question

Old 10-27-02, 10:08 AM
db43
Visiting Guest
Question electric heat pump

new electric tempstar heat pump less than a year old.
noticed condensation under bottom of airhandler and on ground also noticed same situation where drain pipe comes out of air handler. i have a musty smell coming out of air vents even when heat or ac is not blowing any air. what purpose does a condensate pump serve? thanks for any advice you can give.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-02, 12:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
high humidity

if the charge is right, and coil, filter etc clean,you may have a drain that is holding water due to clog or improper fall. i like as much fall as i can get to get the water to the drain termination. if the drain is sweating, and water under the air handler, first clean/blow out the drain. a condensate pump will recieve this condensation at the unit, then pump to outside when float switch inside pump rises. most air handlers have the coil in the return, thereby exerting negative pressure through the drain. that is whay a trap is needed. if no trap is installed, the sucking of the air through the drain will only allow water to flow into the drain when the fan cycles off. i think the drain is clogged. as for the smell, standing water, high humidity, etc in the AHU will be very condusive to mold growth.