Furnace Ignition Problem

Old 10-28-02, 03:01 PM
kurdi
Visiting Guest
Restarting Trane Heater

I cleaned the coil, replaced the filters, and removed rust from heat exchanger (as mush as possible) for a Trane YCC030. I also replaced the cutout. The heat still does not come on.

When I inspected the wiring, I noticed that the brown wire inside the unit is not connected to the white wire from the thermostat. The wires are exposed and not terminated (with the plastic thingy). I wonder if the first repairman disconnected it. The LED is flashing slowly indicating that it is normal and not calling for heat.

1) Is it possible that the wires do not need be connected?

2) Is there a procedure for restartingt the heat?

As always. Thanks for any insights.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-02, 08:18 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello kurdi. Welcome to the Heating & Cooling forum.

Insights:
Always possible the filter access door panel is not installed correctly. If the panel is not properly secured and the furnace has a filter panel door safety switch, an incorrectly replaced panel will not close the switch and the furnace will not operate. Since you replaced the filters, check the panel for correct replacement.

If you suspect the wiring to be a problem, remove the thermostat from the wall location and connect the red and white wires extending out of the wall together. Doing so should allow the furnace to operate.

If this fails there could be a wiring problem. If the furnace fires up the thermostat is defective.

If the furnace has functioned correctly prior to your serving it, retrace your steps to locate the problem. The problem could be caused by the part you replaced...cutout??? Cutout to what??? Clearify.

Other professionals replying within this forum, may have alternate solutions, suggestions, opinions and or test and repair methods. Check back several times for additional replies.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any additional information or questions, etc. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck, Forum Host & Moderator.
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises.
Fast, Fair, Friendly & Highly Efficient Service.....
Energy Conservation Consultants & Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technicians.

Old 10-28-02, 08:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
kurdi,

ycco30, a package unit, correct? this means all of the elements are outside the home, with ductwork running into the house. the one i worked on this past week was 12 yrs old with a spark ignition. does this sound like what you have? does anything happen on call for heat? try jumping white and red at the unit, if it comes on replace tstsy or look for broken wire. if not let us know, we can help.

Old 10-29-02, 01:50 PM
kurdi
Visiting Guest
Yes it is a gas pak with ignition. The LED is blinnking slowly indicating no call for heat. I tried jumping the red and white wire, but no ignition.

As I mentioned before, there is a white wire and brown wires that are not at all connected. Is that normal?

The repairman was able to start it before recommending replacing the unit though. What could be wrong?

Thanks,