Buying/installing a humidifier

Old 10-30-02, 01:04 PM
Zathrus
Visiting Guest
Buying/installing a humidifier

I have a heat pump with backup gas furnace. Currently there is no humidifier in the system and the air gets quite dry in the winter. We're having wood floors installed in the next few days and so it's time to seriously look into humidifiers. Plus it would help with the comfort level in the house during the winter, which is always a plus.

I've been quoted $550 to install one into my HVAC system (by the company I had install the new heat pump last year). I have no idea what brand this is, what brands to look for, what features to look for, etc. And there's not much information that I can find online - mostly manufacturer's sites and stand alone humidifiers.

How hard is it to install one DIY? How much would I save?

Old 10-30-02, 04:42 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
humidifier

It's not hard at all. They come with a water tap or so called saddle valve that will go right into a water line for you. If you go with a good electric one it will just tie in with the blower on the furnace. Then about all is to cut a hole for it at the furnace and run a pipe to the cold air and cut a hole for it If you have very hard water there try to find out the kind that they use there the most There some made by autoflo then there is maid -o-mist on and on OK ED

Old 10-30-02, 06:17 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
i prefer

the bypass humidifier. i am not a fan of the spray type. ed is right, with a little work and knowledge, do it yourself.

Old 10-31-02, 07:22 AM
Zathrus
Visiting Guest
What brands/manufacturers should I look at? Haven't had much luck in locating whole-house units.

I'm in Georgia, no hard water here. The water heater is adjacant to my furnace, so water shouldn't be an issue. There's also a plug behind the water heater I can use, or I can do some wiring work if needed.

Old 10-31-02, 12:12 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Water

If no store has them call or go to a HVAC guy and see what they have to sell.I like to tap into the hot water line if I can.When you said plug, is that water or electric in back of the water heater? The electric for a humidifer has to come on with the blower so it has to be wired in to the furnace ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: