gas furnace problem again

Old 11-01-02, 11:26 PM
dallas52
Visiting Guest
Unhappy gas furnace problem again

Hello again Tom. Remember when I last replied about my flame sensor? I cleaned it and it seemed to solve my problem. Well it didn't solve it for long, so I replaced the sensor. It seemed to be working fine again. Lit right away and stayed lit. I replaced it 2 days ago, on Oct. 30th, and now it is acting up again. It almost sounds like water or something gurgling in the furnace when it is trying to ignite. Is this possible? Or is it more likely to be the fuel shut off valve? Or ???? Thanks,Mark

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-02, 04:36 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello Mark

Yes. I kind of remember. Not the specifics of the furnace but a common problem with flame sensors. Cleaning often resolves the problem but like any other part they too wear out over time.

Since you replaced the sensor the furnace is functioning but now it seems to have another problem? Sounds of water or gurgling. Hummmm...oh yeah. Possible depending upon the location of a furnace but not likely if the unit is not outdoors.

Gurgling sounds can also be caused by burner obstructions, burner orifices that are obstructed and water in the gasline. Water can enter a gasline at any place or location between the heater and the meter.

Happens with buried underground gaslines to outdoor gas appliances like pool and spa heaters. Furnaces located outdoors with underground gaslines. Encountered it many times. The water, in enough volume fills the line, restricts the gas flow throught the pipe and the burner flames flutter.

Burner fluttering sounds are more often caused by the gas valve. Has to do with the valves built in gas regulator. The diaphram flutters or pulsates causing the gas valve to open and close very rapidly. If that is the case, replacement of the gas valve is the only solution.

Depending upon the severity and frequency of the problem while the unit is running there are the above possibilites. Several others too. Could be a cycling caused by the sensors connection or the module it's connected to, etc.

Gas flow? Possible but not likely if other appliances are not having an identical problem. Gas valve? More likely. Check to verify that it is in fact fully opened both the one on the supply pipe near the unit and on the heaters gas valve.

So many possible causes but not all come to mind at this time and some may not be a do-it-yourself repair project. Some conditions do require the highly trained professional and some problems are not even related to the appliance. Water in the lines is but one.

Hope all the above helps and does not confuse the issue more.

Old 11-02-02, 06:09 AM
fjrachel
Visiting Guest
Check the pressure tube from the induced draft housing to the pressure sensing control. A coupla drops of water in the tube will cause the symtoms you are having.

Old 11-02-02, 07:26 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello & Thanks FJ

Water and or condensation in the inducer fan housing or hose is one I forgot about...

Perfect reason for having multiple moderators in any topic and multiple replies to a single question....

Old 11-02-02, 10:39 AM
dallas52
Visiting Guest
pressure switch??

Ok, I studied the gurgling sound for a bit and found that it is the exhaust fan moving water in the condensation pipe. Finally the diag. module had a real code flashing. It said the pressure switch was stuck. I tapped it a few times and it freed. Is the switch something I can replace alone or will I have to replace the complete shut off valve? I should be able to rebuild an Amana furnace before I am done Thanks for the input guys.

Mark

Old 11-02-02, 11:26 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello Mark

Best method to determine if the entire part must be replaced or the individual componet is to inquire at the parts store. Depends upon how the part is usually packaged from the part manufacturer and or sold to service agents.

If there is any doubt about the entire assembly, may be a good idea to replace the entire assembly, including the gaskets and hoses used in the installation.

Taking the time now and doing the job correct and totally the first time is often the best preventative measure from having a recurring same problem and doing the entire task over again.

At this rate of fixing your heater, you just might become our next resident furnace expert....

Good Luck, Forum Host & Moderator.

Old 11-02-02, 11:47 AM
fjrachel
Visiting Guest
Your condensing furnace is not draining the condinsate properly. If you have the installation manual, check it out. You should never hear a gurgling in the induced draft motor housing.

Old 11-02-02, 12:20 PM
dallas52
Visiting Guest
Wink condsensation blockage

I do believe I had a blockage in my condensation pipe. I was taking the drain hose off and something broke loose releasing the water down the drain pipe. I think the blockage was restricting my air flow causing a flare back in my flame and the flare sensor was shuting the propane off. I have taken the drain hose off and made sure it was clear and ran a wire up the drain pipe to hopefully make sure it is clear. Then I turned the furnace back on and low and behold, no flare back and no gurgling sound. It has only ran 1 cycle so I am not satisfied yet, I will post more results after a while. Let us hope.