100 year old fireplace

Old 11-03-02, 09:12 AM
LindaAlexis
Visiting Guest
Smile 100 year old fireplace

Hello.........I have uncovered a 100 year old brick fireplace and I don't know quite where to start. The morter has turned to sand about 1" in around the bricks in the fireplace and around the front and top. (everywhere). I am scraping out that morter. I am also chiseling away the deteriorated brick both in and out. There is a 2" layer of brick on the bottom (floor) of the fireplace. It is like sand also so I am digging that out. Under that I see brick that has "fire brick" written on it. It's intact but there is no morter between those bricks oddly enough. It looks as though there was never any there. I do not know if the fire brick is one or two or three thick; I can't tell. So, should I put a layer of regular red brick back on top of the fire brick and can I use regular morter to do that? Also, inside the fireplace, some of the red brick has disintegrated. Can I patch that with red brick pieces and morter? Any ideas are so appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-02, 11:05 AM
fireplace

Cant say about all of this but I do know.When you lay up fireplaces and use firebrick in the inside there is no morter per say. You have to use whats called a thin set and thats all that is used with the firebrick. Its odd that you have a regular brick on top of the firebrick. The floor, back and sides should be all firebrick with the cast or steel damper on top of this ED