Direct Injection Humidifier

Old 11-06-02, 02:06 PM
theguy
Visiting Guest
Question Direct Injection Humidifier

I had an AprilAir whole house humidifier on a forced air gas furnace that failed to live up to its expectation. I have been looking at a Direct injection type humidifier from Field Controls, specifically the Thermomist 2000 at

http://www.fieldcontrols.com/thermo.shtml

Has anyone had any experience with this product good or bad?

Old 11-06-02, 04:04 PM
fjrachel
Visiting Guest
The Aprilaire is a much better humidifier than the thermomist. I've only used a thermomist when there is no room to properly install an aprilaire. Was your aprilaire properly installed and sized for your home?

Old 11-06-02, 04:55 PM
theguy
Visiting Guest
The Aprilair I had was installed on the plenum and had an aluminum mesh screen that water flowed over. the screen calcified in just over a month. A duct from the humidifier connected to the cold air intake. My water is not that hard but after a month of continuous use i had to replace the mesh. I have since then had a Pure-a-tech air filtration system installed and the tech who installed it recomended not having a humidifier at all but my house is just too dry in the winter not to have some kind of humidification, be it furnace based or small room sized unit based.

Old 11-07-02, 04:53 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I've never used or installed these... But.. I've heard from people that the mist may "build" up if not done right. and you will be leaking water onto the heat exchanger, and that will be a major problem... Also with the misting system.. you may start seeing more "white dust" (water depsoit)...

April Air is by far the best I've delt with in the past.. the area We are in has very hard water and people seems pleased with them.

Old 11-08-02, 02:12 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
water

Most of the time we hook the water line for the humidifier to the hot water line. that way most of the bad stuff in the water stays in the hot water tank. That way the pad you where talking about dont get as much junk on it. If im right the one you are talking about is just an oil burner nozzle they can make a mess in the furnace ED

Old 11-09-02, 10:06 PM
theguy
Visiting Guest
thanks for the advice... I think i will stick with a good room model for now

Old 11-10-02, 06:24 AM
Arrrghh.. I hate them for every bit I can.. I had to "live" with one in the past 3 years since I was unable to put one on my furance in my trailer...

Hated to lugging bucket of water to it every other day on a cold Minnesota winter.....

Standing water starts to smell if the unit don't run on milds days..

The "cool" draft it blows..

Sound of the fan running...

Lugging this big thing outside or tub to clean it up..

Trying to find the "Right" pads for it..... IF they still make them..

Old 11-10-02, 08:09 PM
P
We had some Carrier Intellimist units. They caused several floods in the basement for numerous reasons. We replaced them with Aprilair units which are better not great. (we think that our furnace blowers are undersized) The Aprilair works best with hot water supply which was easy to change.

We supplement them with bucket fill units.

Someone mentioned a company called Nortec ?

Good Luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: