Chilly Bonus Room help...

Old 11-08-02, 07:23 PM
VolnTitan
Visiting Guest
Chilly Bonus Room help...

We just moved into a house with a bonus room over the garage. During the summer, it was noticably warmer in there than any place else. Ceiling fan installed, problem solved. NOW, it is starting to get colder and you guessed it....chilly in the bonus room. I wanted to get a portable heater to help keep it warmer while we are in the room instead of cranking up the heat. I just don't know which kind...baseboard convection, ceramic ocsillating, heater fan, oil-filled....and so forth.

Does anyone have any recommendations for the most efficient space heater so we can start throwing off the blankets? The room is about 12 X 20 and carpeted.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-02, 07:25 PM
VolnTitan
Visiting Guest
Any suggestions before it gets cold again. I can really use some help.

Old 11-10-02, 03:04 PM
Rmen13
Visiting Guest
I have the same problem with my garage which I had turned into a room. I was thinking about getting this little fireplace lookalike thats electric and is good for up 400 sq with my garage is 400 sq. Its around 300. I will post a link if I find it online.

Old 11-10-02, 03:09 PM
Rmen13
Visiting Guest
hey I found the stove is at http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=pg&p...pping#electric scroll all the way to the bottom and thats the one its electric. If your house has access to natural gas you could install one of the ones on the page. But the electric is portable and no installation neccessary.

Old 11-10-02, 04:44 PM
fireweedfour
Visiting Guest
Bonus Room

I have just finished the rough carpentry for our bonus room above the garage. I insulated the walls with R20 and the ceiling with R40. I also insulated the sub floor that I put over the insulated ceiling in the garage. It is still the coolest room in the house for two reasons.

First it is the farthest from the furnace. I'm thinking about putting in a vent fan to draw more heat along the ducting that I put in. (any thoughts on that out there?)

Second the exchange of air with the rest of the house is minimal. I'm running the furnace fan during the day to circulate the warmer air from the woodstove to all parts of the house.

Good Luck

Rob

Old 11-10-02, 08:59 PM
VolnTitan
Visiting Guest
I am looking to do something much, much cheaper. A space heater, just don't know what type to get. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Old 11-11-02, 02:46 AM
Super Moderator
Upvotes Received: 5
VolnTitan:
A plug in electric heater is designed for auxiliary heat and not as a sole heat source.
A permanently mounted electric baseboard heater would be the way to go. You could try the electrical forum for advice on how to obtain a permit and hook one up.
If you should use a temporary heater you have to be carefull of the cord and recepticle. It is common for the plug and recepticle to get quite warm when used for extended periods. If you do use one pull the plug after several hours of running and feel the plug prongs and the recepticle for warmth and then check it periodically.

Old 11-11-02, 07:28 AM
VolnTitan
Visiting Guest
Thanks Greg...

The space heater would absolutely be auxillary. We get heat from the gas furnace for the upstairs, but it just gets colder in the bonus room because it is over the garage. I would like to get some auxillary heat in the bonus room so I don't have to crank up the themostat and make the rest of the upstairs too hot. I was thinking about getting an oil-filled heater.

Old 11-11-02, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator
Upvotes Received: 5
VolnTitan:
I think plug in heaters have their place when used with caution.
I don't have any first hand experience with oil filled heaters, but like the idea of the low surface temp.
The style you choose is a personal preference. They all pretty much put out between 1200 and 1500 watts. I personally have two ceramic cube heaters.
They have come a long way in safety features on these things, just check the plug for overheating and follow the instructions.

Old 11-11-02, 05:28 PM
Rmen13
Visiting Guest
i just bought the heater that I was talking about ^^^ there. It was 300 from Lowes and when i plugged it in it was working perfect. It is nice and hot I just turn it on for like 1-2 hours and the room is nice and warm. I would recommend you getting this one since it was a snap to install and is effective. Space heaters are just for small areas hence the name "Space" heater.

Old 11-12-02, 01:29 AM
Thumbs up All you need to know about electric heaters

http://www.epinions.com/content_1054384260