Baseboard Heat - No Ventilation

Old 11-13-02, 11:51 AM
rpenner
Visiting Guest
Question Baseboard Heat - No Ventilation

My home is heated with electric baseboard heat. We have only one ceiling fan in the house. We also have a bathroom fan and a fan above the stove. My question is how can I improve air flow within the house and allow fresh air to come in. I'm in the process of addressing a high humidity problem and think that the lack of air circulation is also contributing to that. Currently the only air movement comes from the fans mentioned above.

I've read that the air inside a house should be exchanged a certain number of times per day, and ours is not being exchanged AT ALL. I would think that along with high humidity makes for an unhealthy atmosphere.

In regards to the high humidity, I am in the process of laying down plastic in the crawl space as it is VERY humid down there.

Thanks.

Old 11-13-02, 12:52 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'm not being a wise-guy, but couldn't you simply open the windows?

Stale air is a health issue in tightly insulated homes. It's obviously worse in the winter.

I recall my mom opening most of the windows in our house for 20 or so minutes every day during the winter. That short period of time will allow for a exchange of air with minimal impact on heating costs.

I've come to learn that mom was usually right!

Old 11-13-02, 01:52 PM
rpenner
Visiting Guest
Not sure how cold it was at your house, but most winter days opening the windows for 20 minutes up here would be really uncomfortable. It can range anywhere from freezing to 30 or 35 deg below zero in winter. And I think it would have an impact on heating....it would take quite a while to get the house back up to room temp...and meanwhile we'd have to bundle up to stay warm. Would be a good idea on the milder days though.

Thanks.

(My mom's usually right too...when do we get to the point where WE are usually right)

Old 11-13-02, 03:55 PM
heat

Hey get that 6 mil poly down in the crawl way now . overlap it 12" and up the wall about 12". do the walls have insulation up them. Also cut a R30 insulation to fit up in the joist over on the sill plate all around the home. Ill bet this will do it for you. You do want some humidity in the home. ED

Old 11-13-02, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 52 Votes on 48 Posts
rpenner:
Boy I sure would like to invite our Southern neighbours up here for a round of snow golf this January. Just make sure y'all bring orange balls.

Air change in the house is the answer to your problem as well as putting plastic in your crawlspace.
The simplest way is to have the exhaust fan running continously with a window partially open. Also be sure you have a proper range hood exhaust fan over your stove that vents to outside and not a recirculating type that I have seen in older homes.
This is maybe too simple a solution however, because as you said -40 degree air, even coming through a small crack would soon chill down your home.
The proper thing to have is an air exchanger installed, so that it not only exhausts air but returns fresh air as well. They are required for most new home construction in Manitoba.

The HRV type works quite well. Here is a link to one brand.

http://www.vanee.ca/residential/how-vanee-works.htm

Old 11-14-02, 06:55 AM
rpenner
Visiting Guest
Cool

Thanks.

I'm also thinking about totally sealing off the crawl space and putting a heater down there. Any thoughts? It is vented now but there is still a LOT of moisture down there.

Right now there is no insulation on the perimeter...thinking about putting rigid insulation on the walls. I read in another forum that I should NOT put fiberglass insulation on the sill plate???

My thinking is that with the insulation/plastic/sealing/heater I will almost eliminate the moisture problem and make the floor a lot more comfortable to walk on in winter.

Old 11-14-02, 12:20 PM
ITS WET MAN

Yes seal the crawl way off. Put insulation on any door you have to it and the outside. Yes put a small heater down there set on low. Yes put the insulation on the walls. YES put the insulation in the joist just on the sill plate all around the home.Not up in the joist all over.When we have duct work in the crawl way we just cut small registers in it to let some heat out.Have done crawl ways this way for 37 years with heat pumps. Not as cold as you are up there but down to -15 and they work fine.Hey been up there to god country 2 times in manitoba-------But just in the summer. ED

Old 11-14-02, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator
rpenner:
Ed has the right idea when advising you to insulate the wall of your crawlspace.
In our cold climate you have to insulate the wall, but equally important is the installation of a vapor barrier on the warm side of the insulation. So depending on the construction of the wall this may or may not be an easy thing to do. The adviseability of weather or not to use fibreglass would depend on whether or not the wall construction is of a good enough quality to prevent the insulation from coming in direct contact with water.
You make reference to getting advice in another forum. I checked that out and should have known where that advice came from.
You even questioned his logic.
All I will say is to be carefull with his advice and I will try to deal with that situation later.
So far I think that the votes favor at least insulating and installing vapor barrier on your crawlspace wall and putting poly on the floor.

Old 11-14-02, 04:28 PM
water

Hey just for kicks . What are the walls of this home, are how is it built???2x4 or 2x6???? whats in them and on them. inside and out? if you dont mind ED

Old 11-15-02, 06:58 AM
rpenner
Visiting Guest
The house is a bungalow with 2x4 walls insulated with fiberglass. There is a vapor barrier on the warm side of insulation and drywall on top of that. Seems to be well insulated as the heating costs are pretty reasonable for electric heat. We've been in the houes 1 1/2 years and I know there's been a moisture problem for quite a while due to repairs that I had to do under a window (damaged drywall) and some evidence of moisture in corners/closets. Lots of sweating of windows too. The dehumidifier seems to help a lot.

Outside of house is vinyl siding...not sure if there's house wrap?? I know at least one outside wall has styrofoam insulation where I replaced a window (used to be garage...now converted to family room...that's a whole other story...might want to see my other posts on Carpeting).
The house was really neglected by the previous owners...I've done a LOT of repairs/improvements. Oh well, keeps me busy.

Old 11-15-02, 09:53 AM
Wink Water

On the windows you have there. Are they thermopane? I saw up there in Ak. that they had 3/4" thermopane when i was there.I didnt find out about the frames .Years ago we had trouble with the sweat on the windows frame that would let the water go down in the drywall. We use a window frame now that is a two piece.It has a out side piece or frame then a vinyl seal then the inside frame. This way they dont sweat and run down in the drywall. With a 1/4 thermopane on the inside window and a regular pane on the out side for what we call a storm window.
That moisture in the closets FUN FUN. We have to put registers in our closets to get the humidity out when we are on AC. Oh well as the world turns.ED

Old 11-15-02, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator
rpenner:
Sounds like your house project is not overly complicated.
I think the advice you're getting on insulating and applying vapor barrier to the crawlspace walls , as well as applying poly to the unfinished floor is pretty solid.
Post back here if you need insulating advice.

There's a sale on at the lumber yard, the weekend is almost here.........

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: