Steam Furnace w/Water in Radiators

Old 11-15-02, 11:11 PM
k4runner
Visiting Guest
Angry Steam Furnace w/Water in Radiators

I have a lot of water in the steam radiators. I keep the thermostat at 69 to 70 degrees during the evening/night and turn it down during the day when no one is home. My problem is the water in the pipes makes a terrible racket every time the start to heat up. They don't really get even lukewarm unless I turn the thermostat up to at least 72-74, but this creates another problem, the bleeder valves spit up geysers of water all over everything when I do this. If I keep it at 69-70 degrees, I don't have this problem, but don't get much heat. I have what I believe is an older model furnace. I can't recall the name, but it starts with a U. It is an unusual name. Can anyone tell me if this is normal, or if I can fix the problem of water in the pipes. I thought it was supposed to be only steam that comes up into the readiator. Now, I'm not so sure. I'd appreciate a professional opinion. I really can't afford to get a pro in here right now. I'd like to be a DIY person.

Any assistance or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-02, 11:35 PM
fesjr
Visiting Guest
The steam condesates into water when the radiators cool. This condesate should drain back into the pipes to the boiler. You need to have the radiators pitched slightly tword the valve. The vents probally need to be changed. Also make sure the valves are open to the radiators. People tend to shut them to try and contol the heat of the radiator. This dosen't work. All it does is keep the condesate from flowing back properly. Also the piping needs to be pitched back to the boiler. The boiler could need to be skimmed. The oils and rust coat the surface of the water and cause the boiler to surge. This can cause water to be pushed up the pipes to the radiators.
I hope this information is usefull.

Old 11-16-02, 09:20 PM
k4runner
Visiting Guest
What should I use to pitch the radiators towards the valve? The valves are stuck and don't move on any of the radiators and the bleeders have been changed on most of them. The furnace was serviced last Fall. The service man said, I might need the valves replaced since they don't work properly. One just turns all the way around, others won't turn at all. I get a lot of heat when I turn the furnace up to about 72-74 degrees. Is there anything I need to do to the furnace to improve the release of heat and make it more economical and efficient with the gas used?
How do you skimm a boiler? Will I need to call in a serviceman to all of these thing, or can I do them myself? The info you gave me is good. I need to know what I can do by myself.

Thx for the answers. I hope to hear from you again, fesjr.

Old 11-17-02, 02:41 PM
fesjr
Visiting Guest
A small block of wood under the legs by the vent, about 1/2 inch. You can inspect the steam pipes to make sure they are pitched back to the boiler. Make sure ther aren't any broken hangers. The globe valves should be replaced since they can't be opened or closed may be closed or almost closed, help causing this problems. You could try to replace these. But if you have never done this wait untill warmer weather before you try.

Skimming a boiler should be left to an experienced person since if it is done wrong, you could cause major problems with your system. you could always ask the tech to show you how it is done, so you could do it your self the next time.

I hope i've helped. If you need more information, just ask.

fesjr

Old 11-18-02, 10:45 AM
fesjr
Visiting Guest
Also there is a site http://www.heatinghelp.com/. This site is run by Dan Holohan. I've attended his seminar and found him very inteligent on heating and heating problems for hot water and steam systems. Check out the site and see if it helps you. I have no affiliation with this site or its contents. Just thought it might have some pertinent information.

fesjr