heat pump

Old 11-18-02, 06:58 AM
skipbarb96
Visiting Guest
heat pump

my heat pump does not seem to send enough volume of air through the vents, and as a result it seems to run more than neccessary

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-02, 12:01 PM
blower

Is your filter clean is the coil clean. Is the blower set as high as it will go. How old is it???????????????? ED

Old 11-18-02, 02:58 PM
ED is right

you probably have a lower speed for heat, as cold air is heavier and harder to push, therefore cooling runs in a higher speed. increasing blower speed in heat will drop outlet temp, keep this in mind. also you may want to have your unit serviced, a low refrigerant charge will cost big $$$ on your electric bill during the winter.

Old 11-19-02, 10:22 AM
skipbarb96
Visiting Guest
thanks for the advice. the unit is 14 years old and since i just bought the house i don't know when it was last serviced, i will call for a service appointment.

Old 11-21-02, 04:07 PM
PMI

You may also have other things going on... a flex duct connection may have fallen off! One thing you can do is shut down the disconnect switch outside, use a whole bottle of Simple Green cut 50/50 and soak down the outdoor coil, let it soak for a few minutes then spray off with a hose. Home Depot may carry a condenser coil cleaner in the detergent cleaning section9outdoor coil only) The indoor coil you can do the same way but make sure you rinse it good. Its alot harder to get at for sure. You might want to use an insect sprayer dedicated for this purpose, don't use one that had poison in it from the yard. Change the furnace filter every 3 months. Plan on replacing the unit ASAP!
PS Don't you wish you could make your car last that long??? Maybe not! If its a heat pump, make sure the armaflex insulation is solid and at least 1/2" thick, Ultraviolet breaks the stuff down in a year or two unless you paint it with a white mastic.