Replace My Boiler?

Old 11-18-02, 08:50 AM
artschwartz
Visiting Guest
Question Replace My Boiler?

I have a boiler that supplies the hot water for my heat and hot water for showers, etc. It is probably the original boiler that was installed when the house was built in 1968.

The company that handles my service contract came out today and said that we have a hazardous condition becuase the diffuser in the boiler was completely gone. Additionally, we have a pin hole near or in the mixing valve and the water pressure was 5 psi instead of 12 psi. They ordered the new parts and said it would probably take 3 or 4 days to arrive.

Is it worth having a new boiler installed that would be more energy efficient along with an indirect water heater? Or is the money saved so small that paying off this new heater would take 10 years?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-02, 11:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
boiler

Ill bet you get a lot of yes and no's on this one.As for me Id go for the new boiler after 34 years they are better. The hot water for the home. I cant see why you dont have a hot water tank for it.
Why do you want to run the boiler all summer just for hot water.
That 5 psi I take it you mean the auto water fill should be 12 psi. It could be the gauge is off after all the years.As long as you can get water out when you bleed the top outlet you have the right psi in there.Lots of times the gauge will say altitude with the psi. If you get a new boiler it should come with a new auto fill
Right now here they are haveing a bad time with a lot of the service contract company's with over charge that is in the fine print. SO I WOULD GET 2 MORE BIDS ON THIS ED

Old 11-18-02, 03:06 PM
ed is right again

peace of mind, dependability and efficency are all worth the price of a new unit after many years of good service. like ed said get other bids, go with a reputable guy, get a service agreement with the install. those cost us very little to perform and are given away on many sales if the customer asks. after getting the price ask if it includes a new tstat, new unit should have one, they will give you one as well.

Old 11-18-02, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
Me too!

artschwartz:
I would have to agree that now would be a good time.
How far are you into the repair and what is the estimate to just get it going for now?
If it doesn't cost too much, a temporary cheap repair would buy you some time to shop around for a contractor.

Old 11-18-02, 04:48 PM
artschwartz
Visiting Guest
Additional question

I appreciate everybody's advice on my boiler troubles. The prevailing opinion seems to be that I should replace the boiler. I have two additional questions on the same topic.

1) I didn't know there was a problem with the boiler until the service company told me. Should I have another company come to my home and look at the boiler to see if they find the same problems with my boiler?

2) If I replace the boiler I am trying to find out which manufacturers make quality boilers to pursue for the replacement.
Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 11-18-02, 04:54 PM
yes

call in another company to give their opinion, when/if they tell you same thing, get a price right then and there. get them to agree (after giving price) that current service call fee will be deducted from install cost. at that age, most would recommend replacement.

Old 11-18-02, 05:17 PM
hvac4u said it right

Get the other bids and have them look at the boiler We have trouble with a lot of the service contract companys down here. You can go to wwwheatinghelp.com Thats where all the wet heads as they are called are. It has some boilers ED

Old 11-18-02, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
A second or even a third opinion is the way to go as both hvac4u
and ED have suggested.
If there was a hazardous condition and your service tech didn't make an aggressive attempt to warn you about it, he could potentially be held responsible for any damages.
A major service company in my home town makes a client sign a waiver section on their invoice if the customer does not do any safety related repairs when recommended. They will then forward a copy to the gas utility who can disconnect the service for cause.
So if he see's a hazzard, he really must state it's seriousness.

Old 11-20-02, 04:15 AM
artschwartz
Visiting Guest
Recommended Boiler Manufacturers

Thanks Everybody!

I have decided to go ahead and replace my boiler and also add a direct water heater. I have already had three companies to give me estimates. Two boiler manufacturers seem to be the standard in this area (Baltimore, MD), Columbia and Weil-Mclain.

1) Does anybody have an opinion on the merits of these two manufacturers? One contractor told me that it would be easier for them to get the parts for the Columbia boiler, because Columbia's factory is in PA.

2) Also, I was interested in getting a boiler that was Energy Star rated but all the contractors said that the extra initial cost would not be worth the additional 3 or 4% I would gain in efficiency and the additional complexity. Any opinions on this?