pilot light goes out

Old 11-18-02, 09:13 AM
Boba19
Visiting Guest
Angry pilot light goes out

I have a gas wall furnace in a room addition. It has a pilot light and no electronic ignition. I turn the gas valve on to pilot and light it and it starts first try. After a minute or so I go to turn the selector to the on position and the pilot dies out. Would this be a thermocouple problem or a main gas valve issue. The thermostat is on I can hear the click when I put above room temperature.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-02, 03:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
pilot problem

if pilot stays on after releasing the knob, then dies when turned to ON, i would think the valve has gone south. am not real familiar with wall units, only my 2 cents

Old 11-18-02, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
Boba19:
When you light the pilot, do you have to press and hold a button while lighting? How old is the unit?

Old 11-18-02, 05:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
go cheap

The thermo coupler is the cheapest to replace, however I had simular proplem my fixit guy blueout/cleaned the little gas tube to the pilot. He told me the gas company uses a powder in the lines to lubricate things or just plain old dust/crud might have gotten in. justathought!!!

Old 11-18-02, 08:22 PM
Boba19
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by GregH
Boba19:
When you light the pilot, do you have to press and hold a button while lighting? How old is the unit?
The unit is 15 years old. The gas valve has a sliding switch, you press down to ignite the pilot and release. The pilot stays on until you attempt to slide the selector to the on position and it dies out. Both the main gas valve and the thermocouple have each been replaced once. Off the top of my head I want to say its a Williams furnace.

Thanks for the original reply.