Furnace cycling question

Old 11-18-02, 07:46 PM
bblond
Visiting Guest
Furnace cycling question

I have a Carrier furnace that is continually cycling on and off. I hear the gas ignite about every 20 seconds and when it ignites there is this whistling ringing noise. It sounds exactly like when you run your finger around the rim of a crystal glass. It also makes this sound when it cycles off every 20 seconds. It is about to drive me nuts. Does anyone have any ideas?

Old 11-18-02, 08:34 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello bblond. Welcome to the Heating & Cooling forum & our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

The whistling noise could be an indication of a lean air to fuel mixture. Some furnaces produce this noise at times and at other times do not. Reason could be the gas fuel, secondary air or the air shutter adjustment on one or more burners.

However, that may not be the real problem. The fact that you mentioned every twenty seconds the burner ignites and the noise is heard. The twenty seconds later the burners cycle off could indicate a more severe problem.

The burners should ignite and remain on for more then 20 seconds before turning off. Remain on until the thermostats set temperature is reached before turning off. The fact that the burners do not may indicate some other problem exists.

You may need to contact a local heating professional.

Regards & Good Luck, Forum Host & Multiple Topic Moderator.
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises. Energy Conservation Consultant & Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: