hot water baseboard heating system

Old 11-19-02, 05:58 PM
wolfie234
Visiting Guest
hot water baseboard heating system

my home is part concrete slab and partial basement. i have determined that an under slab 3/4" copper line has a leak somewhere between the dining room and the foyer baseboard radiators.this run is about 35 feet. i know it will be expensive and messy to replace the copper tubing. i have been told that there is a repair process which would insert a smaller diameter plastic tubing within the copper tubing and reconnect to the baseboards using the appropiate fittings. i haven't any info if this is really available or if it is who to contact. can you help?

Old 11-19-02, 06:16 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hmm..

Never heard of that wolf. Sounds like a good idea. Would be much better than jack hammering the slab to get to the pipe. Try google.com, pipe repair or something like that.

Old 11-19-02, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 66 Upvotes on 61 Posts
wolfie234:
I have never heard of this and would be interested if it was available.
I could see a couple of problems though. 3/4 inch copper tubing has an aproximately 5/8 inch inside diameter. If you were to insert a plastic pipe inside of this it would have to be slightly smaller than this to travel the 35'. That would be about 1/2 inch outside diameter. The inside diameter of this pipe would then be about 3/8 inch.
I doubt very much if you would then have enough flow capacity in this line.

This is a tough repair. Have any contractors looked at it?

Old 11-19-02, 09:37 PM
R
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
http://www.radiantec.com/ this site sells the pex tubing you are referring to. There are experts on radiant heating and you can get some advice there.

The problem with inserting the pex tubing is that the copper tubing in there now is probably laid down in loops. You might be able to get it passed the first turn in the copper tubing, it is going to get more difficult to get pass subsequent turns in the tubing, if not impossible.

In my opinion, the 2 most practical ways of correcting this problem without tearing up the floor is installing baseboards. The other is to put grooved 3/4th inch plywood over the floor. Install the pex tubing in the grooves and install a floor over the grooved plywood.

Old 11-20-02, 11:41 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
WATER BOILER

Have been there. You can try this. Down on your hands and knees
go over the floor. Where the leak is you will feel it like it will be a hotter spot than the rest.Hammer down to it. Now if you cant get the water out to solder it we have used a welding outfit to solder it. This has worked for us. Down the road you will get leaks all over the rest of the lines. The concrete will eat the copper.Thats why if you go to a home being built and it has copper lines under the slab they will have a rubber cover on them where they come out from under the slab ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: