Direct Spark won't ignite

Old 11-19-02, 07:28 PM
c002pbt
Visiting Guest
Direct Spark won't ignite

I have a lenox gas furnace with direct spark ignition. Model number is 80MGF3-75A-5

The problem is when the heat is called, gas valve opens, igniter sparks (I can hear but not sure if there are any spark) but the flame won't lit up. I can manually light the flame then it works ok until the next heat call. I took the igniter out adjusted the space between the electrodes, clean it a little bit then it works for now.

Should I replace the igniter soon or the problem is something else. Thank you for your inputs.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-02, 07:40 PM
rclhvac
Visiting Guest
Try it for awhile- may just needed cleaning & adjusting

Old 11-20-02, 10:21 AM
c002pbt
Visiting Guest
Still takes more than one try to light up

Please help!!! My spark igniter still doesn't work properly. I can hear the gas valve turn off and on more than once. I secure the ground, sand paper the electrodes, and adjust the space to 1/4 of an inch. I think the control module is still good because when I check the ignition voltage, I even got sparks between the test probe and the igniter connector. Thank you for all your inputs. Another question is what is the voltage of the igniter?

Old 11-21-02, 06:28 PM
cut off

one inch of the ignitor (spark) wire after removing it from the board, reattach. does wonders, believe me!

Old 11-22-02, 04:22 AM
The Gap

Your gap is too big. It should be 1/8". It's jumping the spark to somewhere other than the hood. There is a closer place for the spark to jump to, it will. Does it have a pilot gas tube?

Old 11-22-02, 04:26 AM
checks

a new ignitiopn cable and ignitor are cheap enough. I believe it also sences DC micro amps thru the rectified flame thru the ignition cable. Change it if its a couple years old as part of your PM anyway.

Old 11-22-02, 05:11 AM
c002pbt
Visiting Guest
No, it doesn't have a pilot gas tube. And thank you all, adjusting the gap to smaller does help. Thanks.