Extra wires from old thermostat

Old 11-20-02, 06:04 AM
vikwilliam
Visiting Guest
Question Extra wires from old thermostat

I purchased a Hunter Thermostat 44250A and have followed the instructions. However, I have three remaining wires (brown, black and a orange) for which I haven't a clue to where they go. I was able to follow the instructions to connect the RC, RH, G, W, Y.

Help

Old 11-20-02, 06:07 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
what kind of heating system do you have in your home? Gas? Oil? Electirc heat/heat pump??

What brand is your system?

Old 11-20-02, 06:10 AM
vikwilliam
Visiting Guest
It is an electrical system but not sure what brand? Does that make things complicated?

Old 11-20-02, 06:20 AM
Go down to your furnace and take off the cover... Look at the low voltage terminal block and see what wire is hooked up to what...

Old 11-20-02, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 52 Votes on 48 Posts
vikwilliam:
Did you mark each wire when you took them off the old stat.

Old 11-20-02, 12:24 PM
vikwilliam
Visiting Guest
No . . . I sure didn't. They only led to letters according to their colors.

Old 11-20-02, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 52 Votes on 48 Posts
vikwilliam:
In an ideal world the installer will match the terminal id with a corresponding colored wire. Unfortunatly this is not always possible.
As Jay11J suggested you will have to go down to your furnace and see where each colored wire connects to on your furnace. Again there are some cases where the furnace mfr doesn't use standard terminal id. Write down the color and terminal, look at the instructions that came with your stat and see if anything makes sense.

Old 11-20-02, 12:41 PM
vikwilliam
Visiting Guest
Thanks Greg, I will try that.

I have also been told that the thermostat I have may not be compatible with the Trane System. You would think that you would be able to use any type thermostat, didn't realize there would be eight wires. Any further suggestions would be helpful.

Old 11-20-02, 12:50 PM
I've not heard of 8 wires used on a system.. even with Electric heat... Like I said earlier, take the cover off of your furance and make notes of what wire go where...

and write back to us and let us know what you go, and we will help you.

Jay

Old 11-23-02, 01:33 PM
H
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
DC zone sensors

Trane is a horse of a different color. If you had the BAYSEN008 or BAYSEN006, for example, you'll burn out the transformer using a standard thermostat. A standard thermostat is a switch. Some of the Trane thermostats are actually resistors, in other words they are loads not switches. Did the old thermostat have RH,RC,C,Y1,Y2,W1,W2,G,X?????There might even be a B , O terminal Now let me see.....thats 11 wire.
or did you have numbered connections 1-8?
RH - 24VAC to heat
RC- 24VAC to cooling
C- common side of transformer
Y1-Cooilng stage 1
Y2-Cooling stage 2
W1-Heating stage1
W2-Heating stage 2
G- fan relay
X- emerg light to stat
B- heatpump coil for Johnny Reb
O-heatpump coil for Yanks
It really depends what you want to do. If the condensing unit for the AC lowvoltage terminal board says these codes, a standard thermostat will do, if it says 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 you have DC in which case Get a Trane thermostat or a Control thermostat interface (CTI) from the Trane dealer, It comes with instructions.

Old 11-25-02, 01:34 PM
vikwilliam
Visiting Guest
Trane vs Hunter 44250 Thermostat

hvac01453:

The thermostat I have is a Hunter 44250. The wires instructed to be connected are RH,RC,Y,W,G which I had no problem, however, I now have left over wires (brown, black and orange) a total of eight wires. Do I have a thermostat that is not compatible???

Old 11-25-02, 03:47 PM
H
Nope!!!

These are wires a tech will use if one breaks in the future, spares if you will. what you have is
RH 24VAC for heat
RC 24VAC for cooling
Y for cooloing back to the air handler then out to the condenser contactor coil, what this does id take 24 VAC from the transformer to RC to Y sometimes there is a terminal on the low voltage terminal strip for this, to contactor coil to energize that coil to pull in/power the compressor.
W to fire up the heat, This is 24VAC from transformer to RH to W (or W1) on the air handler low voltage terminal board.
The G is 24VAC from RH or RC to G on the thermostatto the G terminal on the air handler.

Old 11-25-02, 03:54 PM
H
Problem???

I think your problem is it was too easy to install, and there must be something I overlooked! Bottom line test it in heat and cooling. If it works, you done did it right!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: