what size ducts do I need

Old 11-20-02, 04:32 PM
BzySparky
Visiting Guest
Question what size ducts do I need

I am a avid Do-it-Yourselfer but I think I might be asking to much on this one. I had a pro HVAC person size the unit I needed for my 3000 sq. ft. home. I purchased a 5 ton YC-UM-2B Trane-Combo Cooling/Gas Heating Package Unit. My question now is how do I figure out what size ducts to install in all the rooms. It is a 2 story house and as of now the downstairs ceilings are unfinished so my options are wide open. The only limitations I will have as to routing is the the supply and return will run along the length of the house against the back wall, all ceilings are 8 ft, the upstairs will have floor vents and the downstairs will have ceiling vents ,it is laid out this way because the house is on a slope. the supply and the return on the unit are both 14X20. Is there a calculation for volume of air per sq. ft. .This is probably not near enough information to answer my question so if anyone can answer a question like this I can give any info needed

Last edited by BzySparky; 11-20-02 at 06:30 PM.
Old 11-20-02, 06:06 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There's a program someone here can link you to that goes for 39.95 that will doall the caculations for you and double check your pro's sizing.

PS chances are he used the same program

Old 11-20-02, 06:40 PM
BzySparky
Visiting Guest
I am comfortable with the calculations that the pro made for sizing of the unit .He did a heat loss calulation .What I need is a calculation for sizing the supply ducts for each room.

Old 11-20-02, 07:02 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
this program does that also because you'll need to know how much heat loss/gain there is for each room so you supply enough conditioned air but not too much thereby eliminating hot/cold rooms

Old 11-20-02, 07:22 PM
rclhvac
Visiting Guest
Old 11-20-02, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 52 Votes on 48 Posts
BzySparky:
This is kind of a major request for a forum like this.
I could rattle off some numbers, but there are too many variables as Mike134 said.
What you need is someone to give you these numbers and then stand behind them.

Old 11-20-02, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 52 Votes on 48 Posts
Rick:
Do you own and use this program?

Old 11-20-02, 07:41 PM
BzySparky
Visiting Guest
Thank You very much to all that replyed. I followed the advise and downloaded a 2 month only program to do my calculations and it was only 40 dollars CHEAP! from www.hvaccomputer.com
Thanks again

P.S. Great link Rick

Last edited by BzySparky; 11-20-02 at 09:02 PM.
Old 11-21-02, 03:43 PM
H
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Unhappy Ball parking

It sounds like to me when you mentioned the square footage of the building that this was a heat loss calculation. FAR FROM IT> There is a ball park method people use. Commercial tonnage=sq ft/400, residential tonnage=sq ft/600. The heat loss calculator is better. Keep in mind, that if you have reserve capacity in your system, divide it evenly (by percentage) to the remaining outlets.
I'm really supprised you didn't have the duct work ect, designed and sized for you by the seller of the unit! They do this free!, Sorry....

Old 11-21-02, 07:01 PM
BzySparky
Visiting Guest
hvac01453@juno

the program I got from the above link did it all for me for 40 dollars,NO BALL PARKING it sized the unit and designed the duct system .when I came to doityourself .I took it serious. Im going to buy the unit wholesale /without the mark up that includes free? heat loss calc and duct system design. Im sure the mark up is far greater then 40 dollars and then I set out to design it myself sure It will take me longer then a pro but I enjoy doing it myself thats the great part about the internet .I searched for answers and got good info. I am very happy with the results so dont be sorry

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: