Removing a furnance

Old 11-21-02, 04:54 PM
isnicole
Visiting Guest
Removing a furnance

I will be switching from an oil furnance to electric baseboard heating in the next few months. The furnance is about 25 years old and works okay so I intend to put a "free ad" in the local paper to see if someone will haul it away. I was hoping to save a few dollars by disconecting the furnance myself and then having some friends help me move it into my car port for pick up.

Does anyone know how to go about disconceting a furnance - step by step - or where I could find this information (I've spent some time looking but have not found anything yet). I am not very experienced so something fairly simple?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-02, 05:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down whoa....nellie.

It's evedent this is an apartment your renting out. The cost of operating electric baseboard heat, would normally run you into the poorhouse, even a heatpump can return 3.3:1 more BTUs per kilowatt down to about 42F, and is even with electric at 27F but never lower than 1:1, oil is WAY cheaper than electric.

Old 11-21-02, 05:46 PM
isnicole
Visiting Guest
Actually, this is not a rental - this is a house we own. We are switching to electric because we need the room the furnace is taking up. We are transforming our first floor into a suite and there are a number of reasons to get rid of the furnace - first room; second - sound transfer; third - we can get away with electric in our climate (it rarely freezes here). I would love to do a heat pump but that too requires forced air etc.

I know it sounds crazy (especially to you Americans where hydro is premium) but this is what we have decided for this house and I really would like some advice.
Thanks in advance

Old 11-21-02, 05:51 PM
furnace disconnection

first kill power and fuel supply. remove fuel line. be careful that spillage is caught in a bucket to reduce odor from here on in. remove line voltage and tstat wires, unscrew ductwork from unit, remove flue piping, etc. keep on the lookout for other items that may need to be removed. let us know how it goes, be glad to advise.

Old 11-21-02, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
[email protected]:
One thing Canada has is an overabundance of electricity. We sell America tons of it!
In many parts of the country the cost of resistance electric heat is about the same as oil in a low or mid efficiency burner. In our area oil companies are scaling back deliveries of home heating oil.

isnicole:
Disconnecting furnace:
You will first have to ensure that the oil supply is shut off. This is very important as there is normally a gravity feed to the oil pump and would soon fill your basement if you did this wrong. After the oil line is shut off, disconnect the line.
Second is to disconnect the electrical power and remove the wiring.
Third thing is to disconnect and remove the chimney. This will be a dirty job as the carbon in the chimney is quite messy. Put the sections in a plastic garbage bag to remove them from the house.
Forth and saddest thing is to disconnect the ductwork. It may be tricky to figure out how to get the drive clips apart, but you can post back when you get that far.
Although you don't describe your house and situation going from a ductwork system to baseboard heat is a step backward.
You will totally loose the movement of air in your house and will find that stale air will be the norm. Also if central air were ever to be contemplated, it will become impossible without putting in new ductwork.
Enough preaching.

Maybe you could find someone that would want the furnace and would help you remove it.
I happen to be looking for one for a temporary shelter so maybe someone in your area is too.

Old 11-21-02, 06:11 PM
Unhappy no air

One other thing to keep in mind. humidity. If you had a humidifier in the house the dryness of the air will cause loosness of furniture glue joints like you wouldn't believe. Door shrinking ect... dry sinusus. You can always put the portables in though.
I had electric when I lived in Alaska, and It was way too dry for me.

Old 11-21-02, 06:44 PM
isnicole
Visiting Guest
Thanks everyone - I'll let you know how it goes (once we start that is)... (and boy are you ever fast with your responses!!! )