oil smell from furnace

Old 11-22-02, 02:25 PM
D Pell
Visiting Guest
oil smell from furnace

Hi new to this board so here it goes.My wife and i have bought our first home.An old one two a fixer uper at that.Things are going as planed so far LOL.My oil furnace is a old one my guess about 20 or so but works fine so far.The problim i have is that i have never had oil heat befor just gas.So as i stept in the door tonight i could smell oil,now the unit was on prior to me getting home.I turned it on again to see whats up and no smell after its off there is a oil smell. am i freaking out or is there a problim ready to exploade.Also the tank is out side.Thanks for your time on reading this and replying.Thanks D pell. In Canada

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-02, 06:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
oil burner

I take it the burner lights ok. No oil leaks you see.When was the last time some one worked on it? Nozzle not off pattern and clean. Pump check valve is working. No after drip?????? Lots to look at After it goes through a full run turn the power off and open it up and look inside the air tub and see if its wet with oil ED

Old 11-23-02, 07:50 AM
D Pell
Visiting Guest
Thanks ED, this unit has not been work on in the past that I know of. More bad news here after the burner shut down last night there was a whitesh smoke started coming out around the outside of the burner for a bit.if i open the damper wide open it stops close it starts again.it was very windy last night could air be rushing down the chimmy stoping the flow.I firered the unit up this morning with no problim no smoke no smell.someone is going to come by the first of the weak.it would be nice to know what i am up against.also it is knot windy today.My chimmy has no insert or cap.The 2 tech i have talk to over the phone have two different thoughts.1 is the gasget around the burner is gone or a blockege in the chimmy.2st thought bad nozell unit needs a good cleaning.Any more thoughts . Thanks very much.Don.

Old 11-23-02, 09:18 AM
oil burner

For sure get a HVC to look at it. New nozzle, new oil filter, reset electrodes,clean burner fan, check transformer on burner.Check that draft for sure. I'd go for # 2 and look at the chimney AND look out side at it. Does it clear the ridge of the roof???? How about trees around the home.They do grow you know.Had to trim some so burner's would work right.There is a cap you can get to stop down draft's.This wind thing i dont like find out why it does this to you ok ED

Old 11-23-02, 10:12 AM
D Pell
Visiting Guest
Thanks again Ed.Itdoes clear the ridge and no trees around either.Well we will have to see what the tech says.Thanks for the help its keeping me from going crayy LOL.

Old 11-23-02, 11:43 AM
Clearance

The clearance is not enough, code requires 24" above the roofline or from a level line to the roof within 10 feet of the top of the chimney. In other words, take a 10 foot board , keeping it level, put one end on the upside, towards the ridge, and the other end, on the up side of the chimney exterior. Wherever this point is on the side, measure up 24" . This SHOULD be the minimum height of your chimney. The requires draft setting should be (-.02"WC) over the fire. It almost sounds like a delayed ignition. Have it serviced EVERY Year! Usually a new customer with oil delivery gets a free tune-up annually.... Shop around, ask them if they offer this, if not , call another company, you'll find one ...

Old 11-23-02, 02:55 PM
I had trouble with mine a couple of years ago. It only did it on a cold start and it ended up being what the last poster said- a delayed firing. I had to have the transformer replaced which is on top of the gun. I guess by the time it fired up there was excess fuel in the firebox and when it did light it would puff some fumes out of furnace and into the heat pipes. Good idea to have a tech. check it out though.

Old 11-24-02, 07:48 AM
D Pell
Visiting Guest
Thanks guys.I do plan on having a tech check it out .The dam thing has not given us any puff of smoke as of yet since it did it Friday night .Go figure.Its odd why it did this after the burner shut off.Many thankssss again.

Old 11-24-02, 08:54 AM
oil burner

There is what's called an Artist cap that goes on top of the flue that will stop the down draft, it work's very well. As far as the smell There are so many things that will do it. like yes check the transformer, the gap setting on the electrode, just dirt on the ceramic insulators, a very fine crack in them, off pattern nozzzle, the nozzle to far in or out of the air tube, tip of air tube burned off from back heat and after heat. The nozzle doing the same thing getting cooked from the after heat Then we can have post drip from the pump not giveing us a good shut off. You see this is why i said call a HVAC to look at it ED

Old 11-24-02, 02:25 PM
D Pell
Visiting Guest
ok Ed,but what is a hv guy LOL.I got another Q for you.I notice that the exhust pipe has no dapener on it .Should there be one there.thanks again Ed have a great weak bud.

Old 11-24-02, 03:41 PM
Oil pumps

HVAC Thats one that works on all of the units like furnace's gas lp oil and also does a/c and heat pumps and a tin bender thats where you get the v for vents. So any good HVAC shop should have good tech's to work on anything in the heat and cool line ED

Old 11-24-02, 03:48 PM
oil burner

missed the damper: Yes in the smoke pipe there has to be a damper put in, one that is automatic and can be set for over the fire draft. all oil burners have to have them ED

Old 11-24-02, 04:27 PM
D Pell
Visiting Guest
Thanks again.there is a small box on the pipe that has a power wire to it not sure what that is i dont think its the dampener.

Old 11-24-02, 10:09 PM
limits...

Is this a power vented unit? Does a power fan come on to exhaust the fumes before and after running? The damper is a barametric damper. This prevents the chimney from sucking the air thru the burner too fast, and increases the contact time of the exhaust to let the boiler absorb the heat before going up the chimney. This is sometimes refered to as stack losses. Some unit had a damper blade IN the exhaust and would stroke open first and hit an end switch before firing the boiler. You would know this...the motor would stroke first.

Old 11-26-02, 01:30 PM
D Pell
Visiting Guest
Thanks again Ed yep your right about the box it does have a red restart switch.I am almost sure about the down draft a few buddies say that has happened to them in the past.all do say like you that we need that dampener.if it was in place would it have stop the down draft and should i install a cover to keep the wind out the chimmeny.The furnace has not smoked at all since last Fridays wind storm.The fun goes on.