Visiting Guest
Question Crack in Gas Chamber

Hi everyone,

My furnace repairman told me I have two cracks in one
of my gas chambers. He told me I therefore need to
replace my furnace. Assuming he is correct about the
cracks, does this necessarily mean I need to replace
the furnace?

I have a Climatrol furnace which is about 30 years old. I will have the carbon monoxide emissions measured, because I understand
that is an issue with cracked chambers. But if the carbon
monoxide emission is not significant, can I hold off on
replacing the furnace? Or can this gas chamber (which
is one of four total chambers) be plugged up or repaired?

Thank you for your input!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-02, 10:58 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
cracked exchanger

unit is 30 years old, replace it. by blocking off burner to bad cell will reduce output. what do you call not significant CO level? i call it 0. period. any is bad more is worse and little will kill you.

Old 11-24-02, 11:34 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello talkeetna. Welcome to the Heating & Cooling forum & our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Cracked fireboxes {Heat Exchangers} are not repairable. Blocking off the gas to the burner in the effective chamber should not be done.

Doing so will increase the gas to the rest of the burners and will increase the burner flame sizes. Overgassed burners will produce excessive amounts of carbon monoxides in those burners.

The CO produced in the over gassed burners will find tere way into the cracked chamber and enter the warm air to the registers. Blocking off a chamber is a very risky procedure.

At the age of 30 years a replacement firebox is not available. There is no alternate nor safe solution, except to replace the entire furnace. Anything other is putting life and property at risk.

Measurable allowable CO readings at the warm air registers is zero.

Measurable combined CO levels for all chambers of the furnace is not to exceed 200 PPM's. Each chamber must be measured individually.

The total CO readings of all chambers is then divided into the total CO readings to obtain the combined reading. 200 is the max.

Any chamber reading above the maximum allowable total means the entire furnace is unsafe to use in it's current operating condition.

Living environment {within the house} acceptable CO levels are not to exceed 10 PPM's constantly.

Higher readings above 10 PPM's are acceptable but only during usage of non automatically operated appliances.

Cooking stoves, ovens & dryers are considered non automatically operated appliances.

Automatically operated appliances & remotely operated appliances are considered to be water heaters and furnaces.

In the situation you described with the furnace you have, continued usage is risky at the least and potential serious to health and safety. It would be prudent to invest in a replacement.

Regards & Good Luck, Forum Host & Multiple Topic Moderator.
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises. Energy Conservation Consultant & Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Alway's consider the warranties and future service needs for any major appliances your considering purchasing. Price isn't always the best guide for long term appliance investments.

Old 11-24-02, 04:42 PM
talkeetna
Visiting Guest
Thank you so much for your thorough, thoughtful and
very informational reply! You conviced me! It's so
hard to trust a guy who wants to sell you a new
furnace, but so much easier to trust someone
who doesn't help self interest.

I'm telling my friends about this website, and again,
thank you so much.

talkeetna

Old 11-24-02, 04:48 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Arrow Replacement furnace

When they repalce the furnace the new one will be more efficient therefore probably a smaller size.
Make sure they don't oversize you as most HVAC contractors liek to do