T-Couple or Pilot Generator Replacement

Old 11-24-02, 11:30 PM
Sheri E
Visiting Guest
Replacing a Thermopile

Based on my furnace problem thread:

http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...hreadid=113316

I suspect I'm going to need a new millivolt thermopile aka pilot generator. If this is the case, can this possibly be a DIY type project? Can anyone offer any instructions or direct me toward some? I found the part for about $20 online, $18 at Home Depot.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-02, 06:47 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: Sheri E
Yes. Replacing either a Thermocouple or a Pilot Generator is an easy task and certainly a Do-It-Yourself project.

Simply & carefully remove the current existing part.

Thermocouple has the threaded hex nut end.
Pilot generator has the two wire leads.

Take the part you remove to the local hardware or appliance parts store and purchase an exact replacement.

Install the new one, whichever type it is, thermocouple or pilot generator, exactly as you found the current one. Write yourself notes of the removal procedure it need be. Doing so will help when installing the new replacement part.

Be sure to unplug the furnace or turn off the electrical power.
Also turn off the pilot gas and be sure the thermostat is not turned on.

My assumption here is you discovered what type safety system your furnace is equipped with. As I assumed you would. Your doing very well thus far too...

Use the REPLY button to continue this thread to the final completion stage. Do not post a new question please. Using the REPLY button allows all reads to easily follow along. Thanks.

Tom_B

Old 11-25-02, 07:40 AM
Sheri E
Visiting Guest
Thanks, Tom. Will report back.

Re: safety system. Upon further research I found that this is a combination gas valve, so no reset button.

Wish me luck!

Old 11-25-02, 04:02 PM
Sheri E
Visiting Guest
I managed to get the old thermopile out and it looks vastly different than the new pilot generator. The old one is thicker and the pilot attaches to it at its bottom; the wires attach to the side from the bottom. The new one doesn't have any attachment at the bottom for the pilot and the wires go straight up into it from the bottom center. Help?

Apparently what I purchased is a universal millivolt generator. The paperwork to the gas valve mentions that any universal generator can be used.

Old 11-25-02, 04:37 PM
rclhvac
Visiting Guest
can you take a picture & post it?

Old 11-25-02, 04:58 PM
Sheri E
Visiting Guest

The one on the left is the old and the one on the right is the new.

When I removed the old, the pilot attached at the bottom.

Old 11-25-02, 05:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
great pic

did it come with some kind of conversion kit. obviously not since you are here....take the old one to where you got the new one, they will either get you the right one, or give you a conversion kit

Old 11-25-02, 07:35 PM
Sheri E
Visiting Guest
Went to three places and none had a conversion kit or any selection other than the universal version (brands Honeywell or Lux). Basically, I need a bracket for both the generator and the pilot and an attachment for the pilot so that the flame is directed at the generator. None of the places had those items. The woman at my local hardware store said that in 15 years she had never seen a thermopile like mine.

At this point I may have to call a professional!

Old 11-25-02, 07:59 PM
rclhvac
Visiting Guest
I've never seen one like that either- What make heater is it from?

Old 11-25-02, 08:17 PM
Sheri E
Visiting Guest
Robertshaw 700 series Millivolt; Robertshaw also manufactured 1950 and 1951 series thermopiles to go with it. I can't find pictures of them so I don't know if mine is either one of those. My bracket is in the photo I've provided, as well. As you can see, it just holds the pilot, which is encased by the thermopile, for lack of a better term. The thermopile just sits right on top of it. Diagrams on the back of the universal generator packaging show a bracket that holds the pilot and the generator side-by-side, and on the pilot is a sort of adaptor that directs the flame toward the generator.

Old 11-26-02, 05:47 AM
Hi, I have not seen such thing either..... Only thing you could do is go to a local wholesaler, or call in a dealer..... If they are unable to come up with a kit or something for it. you more likely wll have to have a new gas valve and pilit set up for your furance... is this a central furnace or a wall/space heater??

I'd be tempted to replace this unit with a new one... a few reason why.. This unit is pretty old, and parts are going to be pretty hard to find.. like now... You'll be saving money on fuel usage.. and it sounds like your furnace don't have much safety features.

Old 11-26-02, 06:42 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: Sheri E

The old generator includes the complete pilot assembly and the generator. The one on the right is simply a generic generator, without the pilot assembly.

The generic PG is used on many appliances while the one on the left, the original part is used primarily on heaters, mostly those called "Floor Furnaces" & old wall furnaces.

Old ranges {Very Old Cooking Stoves} also used the type of PG your furnace has as well as early style pool and spa heaters.

My guess is to obtain the exact replacement part would be to obtain one from a heating parts supply store. Preferrably from those agents that service old model heaters and furnaces.

The reason why you cannot obtain the exact replacement part baffles & defies me. These parts are readily available.

Conversions to accept other PG types and conversion kits should not be required nor do I suggest you're making any of the suggested alterations. A pilot assembly would be required in order to use the replacement part and it must be done correctly to insure burner ignition and safety devcie operations.

The PG on the right, replacement part, most likely will not provide sufficient current to operate the heaters systems or not do so for very long. These types of PG are most commonly used on fireplace gas log appliances & similar appliances that do not require higher amount of current to operate.

You may have to seek out the exact replacement part online. The type your furnace has is the highest amount of millivolt production type available of all the models.

Approzimately 750+ milivolts approz. Knowing this should help to ensure getting the correct part if online pictures are available.

Online part suppliers are not known to me simply because I do not always suggest obtaining parts in this manner. In your case it may not be possible to not obtain it this way.

Old 11-26-02, 09:04 AM
Sheri E
Visiting Guest
Thanks, Tom.

I found this item:

http://www.bellparts.com/parts/produ...=11&sku=ig1000

What do you think?

Old 11-26-02, 03:38 PM
Sheri,

I am afraid to say that part that you linked is not the part you need.. that is a HSI. (Hot Surface Ignitor). They are used in new furances with out pilot light...

Old 11-28-02, 10:34 PM
Sheri E
Visiting Guest
Thanks for replying, Jay11J.

At this point, I need to call in a contractor. The previous owners of the house gave me the contact info for the guy who has been here before, going back 20 years.

Thanks to everyone here and happy holidays ~ Sheri