2 t-Stats 1 Unit?

Old 11-26-02, 04:35 PM
BzySparky
Visiting Guest
Question 2 t-Stats 1 Unit?

I have 1 HAVAC Unit I am Installing for a split level house. I was concerned since part of the downstairs is sub-terrainian it will have different heating/cooling needs then the upstairs, maybe only a 10 degree difference at most ,Im guessing. Anyway my question is since the supply side is not at all set up on different zones but the returns are split and easy to get to ,can I control the 2 zones with dampers on the return side.

Old 11-26-02, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
BzySparky:
You cannot control the air volume to the different areas by restricting return air. If you try to do this you will increase the velocity in the open RA duct and it will get noisy. If you can't install balance dampers in the ducts you might try damper style grills in the supply air.

I have that problem myself in my own two story house. Finished basement with no access to ducts. The damper grills don't close completely, so I put a garbage bag in three of them. Keeps the temperature just right in AC season.

Pretty fancy eh!

Old 11-27-02, 05:23 AM
BzySparky
Visiting Guest
GregH

Thanks Greg ,that works for me ,I like using the kiss method

Old 11-27-02, 11:34 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
duct work

Sometimes if you dont have a good duct layout where you can put a balance damper in for up and down we have the blower run all the time. It sure helps.Also good registers that you can close down some that will help put more heat or ac up or down as you need it like Gregh said dont cover any of your cold air returns ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: