Banging radiator

Old 11-26-02, 08:36 AM
Banging radiator

I have a steam, 1 pipe, radiator heat system which heats a 2 story home. All the radiators work fine and the only problem is when the heat is on full, the last radiator on the run (located on the 2nd floor front room) starts banging very loud and I have to drop the heat down or shut that radiator off. What to do to correct this problem??

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-02, 09:41 PM
fesjr
Visiting Guest
When you get very loud bangs in a steam system, like someone hitting the pipe with a hammer, it means the steam is hitting water in the line. The fast expansion/contraction of the steel is the cause of the noise. You need to check the piping to see if it is pitched back to the boiler. Also the radiator may need to be pitched, a small block of wood under the legs by the vent should be enough. Also you need to make sure the radiator valve is all the way open. People close these thinking that is how you balance a steam system. All it does is keep the condensate from draining back to the boiler. The last thing to check is maybe there is a slight blocakge in the line which is keeping some of the water from draining.

I hope this helps.

Old 11-27-02, 10:24 PM
Bingo...

give the man a cigar....pitch on the pipe or radiator is too little. This happens when houses seattle. The steam is slamming into the condensate on the way back to the boiler. Open the valve all the way. If the room over heats in comparison to the others get an adjustable vent and this will slow down the air getting out of the radiator and allow the others to heat up before the problem one does.
Look at the boiler pressure setting. The cutout should be around 1-1/2 to 2 # of steam. Some mechanics tend to jack this up thinking its too low. 2# of steam is plenty to do any house.

Old 11-28-02, 08:32 AM
I left this out in my original post.

The banging starts after the heat is up and the radiator is completely hot.

Also how does one adjust the steam pressure??

Old 11-28-02, 12:32 PM
prerssure adjustment

The pressure adjustment is made from a control most likely Honeywell about the size of a pack of ciggerettes only a little thicker. A square stem with a slot in it is the adjuster. This device will sit on top of a pigtail loop siphon. A steel tube about the diameter of your pinky. watch the unit start and stop and the pressure gauge on the front of the boiler is your guide. It should cut out at 1-1/2 # of steam. and cut in at about 1/2#. What was the steam pressure running at when the unit cut off. To test this set the stat to 80F till it shuts off, then watch to see when it cuts in.