burner question

Old 11-26-02, 09:39 AM
1hobbyguy
Visiting Guest
burner question

I have a Sears SP80 furnace. Sometimes the main burners do not light. You hear the unit click on & the pilot lights, but the main burners never kick in. Other times it works fine. I found that if I remove the front grill everything works fine. There are no switches or buttons that the cover engages. I had a serviceman come out and he cleaned the furnace and replaced what he called a "smart sensor". It is the tube that the pilot warms up. The problem still remains although when you first remove & replace the grill it will cycle normally a few times and then stop lighting again until you remove the grill. Then all is well. I have cleaned the dust around the exhaust flue, and vacumed any dust I could find. I do not see what difference the grill could make as it is louvered from top to bottom. I really do not want to pay more money if it is a simple problem. Any ideas?
PS if you read my previous posting I closed the vent on the humisifier and turned it off, this made no difference at all.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-02, 03:38 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: 1hobbyguy

Definately a strange problem. Could be something like a loose wire that gets moved through the movement of the front cover. And or any similar action. Could be the cover is crimping a line? Possibly pushing up against something? You'll have to check more closely into the problem the front panel {Grill} could be causing.

Not sure myself what exactly could be because the symptom is not a regular diagnosed procedure. Nor is it a common type of problem.

Possible the manufacturers online web site may provide some problem possibilities, causes. If not try calling the manufacturer. Also contact the repair service and advise that the recent service has not resolved the problem.

Several other resident heating professionals on this type of heating system, replying within this forum, could have additional helpful information, suggestions, advice.

Check back on your question several times for additional replies.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any additional information or questions, etc. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck, Forum Host & Moderator.
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises. Energy Conservation Consultants & Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technicians.

Old 11-27-02, 06:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
strange indeed

the cover you seem to be describing has no effect on operation unless it depresses some kind of door switch. if it is in fact the problem, i would suspect a bad ground, but doubt it. how old is this unit, does it have a spark ignition? a honeywell smartvalve?

Old 11-28-02, 10:02 AM
1hobbyguy
Visiting Guest
It turns out that the cover was causing the airflow to move slightly around the flame sensor, and simply bending the sensor a little bit cured the problem. Thanks for the help guys.