oil furnace tank hookup

Old 11-27-02, 06:42 PM
robertgo
Visiting Guest
Question oil furnace tank hookup

I have an oil furnace that is only 2 years old and working great. I have an underground tank I want to eliminate, so I bought an new above-ground tank. I need to know how to hookup the feed and return line to the tank! I have a 2-line system, and I can guess the feed line is from the bottom of the tank, but how do I take care of the return? Does it return to one of the ports on the top of the tank? Or is there a special hookup that has the both lines connected to the bottom of the tank? Since my old tank is buried, I can't do a visual inspection. I have the confidence to do this if I had a schematic showing the feed and return to the tank.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-02, 07:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
robertgo

check previous posts for this info, refer to mfr specs, and look for some of our oil heating pros to respond. i will be glad to look this up if you get no responses, let me know. i am hesitant to voice my opinion because this is not my specialization, not many oil burners in atlanta

Old 11-27-02, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
robertgo:
You would return the oil to the top of the tank. There should be a fitting on the top.
My previous home had oil. The tank didn't have a top fitting so the installer put a tee on the vent line and ran the return into the side.

Old 11-27-02, 09:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
hooker-up

as mentioned earlier, a special adapter is required to pipe in the return line to one of the top bungs. This ACR tubing also runs to near the bottom. This is so that, if during an emergency, you needed to use the return line as a supply line a tempory line could be used as a return going to one of the other bungs. I believe a permit needs to be pulled by the installer though. Check with the fire dept, they usually control this, I believe it requires a pressure test and inspection. Not sure if a licence is required. Give them a call. All you need to know about oil burners is in the book "Domestic and Commercial Oil Burners" third edition, McGraw Hill, author- Burkhardt