Furnace Problems

Old 11-29-02, 07:38 AM
Jacob Shmois
Visiting Guest
Question Burner does not turn on

I am new to this site.
I have a gas furnace made by International Heater Co. (Utica, NY) and it is not working. I checked power, it is okay. I shorted input from the thermostat to eliminate potential problem with the thermostat. The pilot light is on. This furnace does not have a thermocouple, but instead has a wide, about 1.5" wide, plate or two plates in parallel. I can not see what's behind the first plate. Maybe this is the thermo-pile? There is no small 24 volt transformer in the furnace.
Anyway, I measured the woltage on the wires comming from the thermo-pile(if that's what this is), - no voltage. But I measured a small current -9 mA. I do not know whether this thing (the thermo-pile) is not working, or the valve itself is bad.
Any ideas how to figure out what is wrong and how to fix the problem?
Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-02, 09:23 AM
Admin Emeritus
Arrow Several Possibilities

Hello Jacob. Welcome to the Heating & Cooling forum & our D-I-Y Web Site.

The flat plate you are referring to is most likely the hot surface glow ignitor. It must be glowing in order for the furnace to operate. If it's not glowing, the ignitor must be replaced.

If the furnace has this type ignitor it will not have a thermocouple. It may have a flame sensor element which looks similar but is not the same as a thermocouple.

If the furnace does in fact have a constant burning pilot flame, it may have an safety device element which is being heated by the pilot flame. Knowing exactly what type of ignition system the furnace does have determines what the possible problem may be.
Additional problem possibilities and repair solutions can be obtained by read the recent postings within this forum pertaining to heater topics. The questions already asked describe like or similarly related problem descriptions as your question.

These prior postings and all the replies offered within them contain almost all the required information needed pertaining to the many potential and possible problems with the heating unit like your describing.

Additional Suggestions:
Read the manufacturers web site for product information, problem possibilities, causes, solving methods, part locations, disassembly, reassembly, repair procedures, instructions, pictorials, schematics, all or part of which may be available online.

To save time, search this form and the gas appliances forum for topics & subjects on heater problems. In doing so you'll find the same or similar problem asked. The reply or replies contained within the question will be all of the possbile solutions.

The "Search" option is a button way up on this page in the right hand corner of this page in the blue selection.

Printing all the pages of prior asked questions pertaining to "Gas Heater Problems" or similarly named topics on the problem your furnace is having may also help to provide all the possible problem causes and correctional possibilities.

The printing option selection is a blue link provided way below. Scroll down this page and look for the wording "Show Printable Version."

An excellent source for orginal replacement parts is your local retail appliance parts store, the local heating dealers and agents retail part stores. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. The info will help to determine the possible problem causes.

Heating Agents & Appliance part stores carry replacement parts for almost every heater brand. The locations for the dealers, agents and retail part stores are listed in the phone book.

Resident heating professionals replying within this forum, may have alternate solutions, suggestions, opinions and or test and repair methods. Check back several times for additional replies.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any additional information or ask additional questions after attempting the correctional method or methods offered.

Regards & Good Luck, Forum Host & Multiple Topic Moderator.
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises. Energy Conservation Consultant & Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.