tempstar furnace

Old 11-30-02, 08:56 AM
koaks62
Visiting Guest
Unhappy tempstar furnace

not quite 2 yrs ago we bought our first house, it has a tempstar oil furnace that has worked fine we change the air filters reg. On Thanksgiving day we thought we had run out of oil. When we checked we were fine, but our furnace would not work, my husb bled the line which we usually have to do if we run out of fuel. He then pushed the red reset button on the honeywell box, the furnace starts like it is going to fire up for about a minute and then shuts off and does nothing else. We have 4 freezing kids and a wife who told him to check the oil tank 2 days ago! It is now the weekend and he wants to fix it himself. I have delayed my out of town shopping trip w/my sister because I dont want to have iceberg children when I come home. Any suggestions are welcome.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-02, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator
koaks62:
First thing to check would be the filter and supply line to ensure a continuous supply of fuel to the furnace.
Then bleed it well. The bleeder screw on my last furnace was downstream of the pump and I could slightly open it while the pump was running to purge the air faster.
The rest would depend on the type of furnace it is. You would have to determine if the nozzle is spraying and if you have spark.

Not sure how important this heat is but will also say that if this type of repair is new territory to your husband, you may be better to divert some of your shopping funds to a professional repair.

Post back if y'all decide to DIY and maybe we can help you more.

Good luck.

Old 11-30-02, 09:34 AM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
Doesn't it seem like things always go haywire on Holiday weekends? May I suggest that you get the kids in a nice warm hotel room and then call your service guy? Oil furnaces are not for inexperienced DIY's. DO NOT just keep pushing the red button. When the service guy comes, be honest and tell him how many times you pushed the red button. He will need to know in order to prevent an explosion.