Boiler Problems

Old 11-30-02, 03:42 PM
cbreedlo
Visiting Guest
Question Boiler Problems

I own a brick home built in 1961 in Cheyenne, Wyoming with hot water heat. The boiler is a Penn boiler that is original to the house and was made in 1960. About 15 years ago, I had the unit upgraded with an intermittent ignition system and automatic vent damper. The parts that were replaced were a Honeywell S86 series intermittent pilot control module; a Honeywell L814 Aquastat Relay; a Honeywell VR8204 automatic gas valve and a Honeywell D80 Vent Damper. The unit worked flawlessly for the last 15 years. The problem I am having now is that every now and then, the burner will light and not stay lit and the circulating pump continues to run for hours. To restart the system, I shut it off at the thermostat wait about five minutes and turn it back on. It has not failed to restart and warm up the house. The problem seems to be getting worse though as it is happening more frequently. I am concerned that at some point it may not restart. I have had several HVAC service technicians look at the unit and their recommendations range from replacing one or more the control modules to complete replacement of the boiler. I have not had a problem with this system since I moved into this house in 1976. Although it is old, the boiler does not leak of look to need any other type of repair. It may be time to replace and upgrade efficiency. However, I don't want to waste money trying to fix an old system or needlessly buy a new one. What are you thoughts and/or recommendations?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-02, 02:39 AM
fjrachel
Visiting Guest
Could be: bad burner ground to S86 module, bad contacts at flue damper end sw., dirty pilot or pilot sensor(if equiped).