Radiator Heating Problem

Old 12-02-02, 01:22 PM
marcus77
Visiting Guest
furnace spurts scalding water, rattles loudly

I am a renter living in an oldish apartment. My radiator works great most of the time, keeps me very warm etc., but every couple hours it has a seizure that lasts between 10 minutes and 1 hour. During this seizure, scalding water spurts in a small spray from a 3-inch-high cylindrical metal thing that juts out from the side of the radiator near the top. (it's on the opposite side from the valve.) the water hits the side of the radiator and then dribbles down to the floor.

a loud rattling sound is also emitted from this metal cylindrical thing. last night the rattling sound kept me awake from 3.30 to 4.30 AM as i lay in bed wondering whether my radiator was about to explode and soak everything in my bedroom leaving 2nd-degree burns all over my body. it really sounded that way.

oh, the sound of seriously trickling water is also audible during these seizures.

1. what is happening?
2. how much danger is the radiator in of exploding?
3. what is that metal cylinder called and what is its purpose?
4. can i fix it myself or should i call the landlord?

if you answer me, please explain all your terms, because i don't know any radiator jargon.

thanks so much,
marcus

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-02, 02:17 PM
marcus77
Visiting Guest
i mean, RADIATOR spurts scalding water, rattles loudly. (oops.)

I am a renter living in an oldish apartment. My radiator works great most of the time, keeps me very warm etc., but every couple hours it has a seizure that lasts between 10 minutes and 1 hour. During this seizure, scalding water spurts in a small spray from a 3-inch-high cylindrical metal thing that juts out from the side of the radiator near the top. (it's on the opposite side from the valve.) the water hits the side of the radiator and then dribbles down to the floor.

a loud rattling sound is also emitted from this metal cylindrical thing. last night the rattling sound kept me awake from 3.30 to 4.30 AM as i lay in bed wondering whether my radiator was about to explode and soak everything in my bedroom leaving 2nd-degree burns all over my body. it really sounded that way.

oh, the sound of seriously trickling water is also audible during these seizures.

1. what is happening?
2. how much danger is the radiator in of exploding?
3. what is that metal cylinder called and what is its purpose?
4. can i fix it myself or should i call the landlord?

if you answer me, please explain all your terms, because i don't know any radiator jargon.

thanks so much,
marcus

Old 12-02-02, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
marcus77:

This link can answer some of your questions better than I can:

http://www.heatinghelp.com/steam_problems.cfm

Your rad is not going to blow up. It's not healthy though to have too much steam venting.

The responsibility is solely your landlord's to have it repaired.
The sooner you call him the better.

There is the possibility that you are not the only one this is happening to.

Old 12-02-02, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
marcus77:

I'm quite sure your rad will remain in one piece.

You can go here to read a little about radiators, but it is your landlords responsibility to repair this.

http://www.heatinghelp.com/steam_problems.cfm

If you drape a cloth over the leaking valve for now, it will at least prevent water from going all over.