Haunted Furnace Blower?

Old 12-02-02, 05:00 PM
Samnjoc
Visiting Guest
Haunted Furnace Blower?

Please help!
I've got a rather old (approx. 1984) Carrier A/C(electric)-Furnace(gas) combo unit-Model #58CP050 series 311. I'm using a Honeywell programmable thermostat.
Just recently my fan/blower started acting up while I have the heat on. Once the set temp. is reached, the fan turns off. Then immediately kicks on for a split sec, turns off, and turns on for a second again, and then finally shuts off.
In addition, this blower on/off hiccup now sometimes occurs when the fan turns on at the beginning of a heating cycle.

The furnace heats perfectly with no other problems, but I'm worried that this repeated start-up, stop, start-up, stop will fry my blower. It's also annoying as heck!

Is this a thermostat problem (that I can fix simply by replacing the thermostat) or is this a problem with the furnace itself?
Can a good handyman without gas furnace know-how (me) fix it on his own?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-02, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Samnjoc:

A standard efficiency furnace has a fan/limit control that operates the blower.

If you have some electrical experience and a tester you may be able to do it yourself.

If your furnace has not seen a serviceman for a while though, now may be a good time.

Old 12-04-02, 03:35 PM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
Does your furnace have any solid stae boards in it? The HW programmable stats use inductive relays whch play havoc with furnaces with electronic boards. Even the when the t-stat is not calling for a certain circuit to be on there is voltage on the output terminal. The board often interprets ANY voltage as a signal to do something. The cure is to install an isolation relay in between the t-stat and the device it controls. IOW- wire the relay coil to G and C terminals on the t-stat and have the relay contacts operate the fan circuit. If you have a conventional fan/limit control, [no boards] then that is the palce to start looking.