air conditioner or heater will not turn off

Old 12-04-02, 04:54 AM
jdcuzmar
Visiting Guest
Question air conditioner or heater will not turn off

We just turned the heater on and it will not stop running. It does not matter if the system switch on the thermostat is on HEAT,OFF or COOL and/or if the fan is switched to AUTO or ON because the system will never stop running. The only way to turn it off is by turning off the power to the heat pump at the main service panel. I thought it was the thermostat, so I replaced it. Unfortunately, the problem is still occurring.
Please note that we get warm air if the heater is on, and cool air if the air conditioner is on.

Any advice?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-02, 03:19 PM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
Just to clarify, you have a split system and the outdoor section runs all the time? First thing to check is the compressor contactor in the outdoor unit to see if it is stuck closed. If that's ok, maybe the interconnecting thermostat wires are somehow shorted together.

Old 12-04-02, 05:06 PM
jdcuzmar
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

After further observation, I realized that the blower is the one that does not stop running. The compressor turns On/OFF whenever the switch is on the COOL /HEAT position.
Any suggestions about how to examine the blower's wiring system. I have a Comfortmaker Air Conditioner & Heating. Model DEBA005GB. It has been running great for eight years. Is it time to replace it?

Old 12-04-02, 05:15 PM
fan relay

sounds like it is stuck closed. look for it in the wiring diagram.