What type Humidifier?

Old 12-04-02, 10:51 AM
kianje
Visiting Guest
What type Humidifier?

I have a heatpump and live in Ohio. As you read in other threads, heatpumps pretty much leave you feeling cool in the winter. I have read that if I get the humidity in my house to around 65%, the house will feel much warmer. (Correct me if that is wrong) Humidity now is under 50%.
I am looking to get a free standing humidifier but need some help on what to get. I saw one at SAMs club (only one they carry) that is for up to 3800 sq. ft. for around $68. My home is 1700 sq.ft. with 750 sq ft. basement.

Is there a particular type or brand that may be best suited for my needs and are there other things to consider?

Thanks for the help!!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-02, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
kianje:

Humidity down to about 30% should provide adequate moisture for comfort.
You cannot compensate for too low a room temp, by jacking up the humidity.

Structural damage can occur if the house is at 65% in colder weather.

Old 12-04-02, 12:18 PM
kianje
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply Greg. My thermostat stays on 72 but the house always feels very cool in the winter. My wife also has nose bleeds in the winter and has been told it is due to not enough moisture in the air. Do you think we need a humidifer and if so...? please refer to original post.
Thanks

Old 12-04-02, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator
Smile Common problem.........get this all the time.

kianje:

There is much to consider when dealing with human comfort.

Humidity, temperature, air currents and drafts within the house, furnace fan on/off settings, large heat draw from large low E windows and temperature difference between outside and in all contribute to comfort.

Another thing as important as all of these thing is each person's tolerance to all of the above.
For example; I find myself cold in the evenings before bed and quite comfortable in the mornings. The temp and humidity are the same. It's my own constitution. No use me adjusting temps.........Just wear more in the evgs.

Normal range for human comfort centers around 72 deg F and 50% humidity.
All the factors above would shift these numbers to personalize the settings.

If your wife is home all day then you could adjust the humidity to suit her needs, otherwise if she is home only a portion of the day then you can't do much about that.

As far as humidifier types I would never recommend a console, fill as you go type.
A furnace mounted one is a permanent solution.
I believe there have been some questions posted here recently about humidifiers.
Check them out.

Another thing to do if you don't have one already, is to get a digital temp/humidity indicator and see what the levels are. Spring type hygrometers and thermometers are no good.

What outdooor temps are you experiencing now and what is the lowest?

Old 12-04-02, 02:02 PM
kianje
Visiting Guest
We got down to 8 last night which was a new record for the Cleveland area. High of 20 today. These temps are low for this time of year but on out in winter it can get down to the low single digit temps on a regular basis. I really appreciate the time you have taken to answer this.

Are the furnace mounted types hard to install and where do you find them?
Same question for the temp/humidity indicator?
Again thanks!!!

Old 12-04-02, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator
kianje:

A heating specialty store would be the best place if you have any questions about humidifiers.

You can get the humidifiers and hygrometers at Home Depot also.

You have to do a littlle tin work to cut the duct, plumbing to hook up the wiring and a bit of electrical to connect the humidistat.

I've been looking for a good link with humidity info.
See what you think of this.

http://www.appliancefactoryparts.com...-policies.html