Ductwork

Old 12-06-02, 09:05 PM
Bman8950
Visiting Guest
Ductwork

This is an addition to a previous question. Have added a two room addition to my house. Am on a slab, and current heat is natural gas, forced hot air with the ductwork built into the cement. Obviously I cannot run ductwork for the new addition in the slab so my ductwork will go up top. Question is this, and forgive me if it's an easy one to you pros out there. In order for the registers to be down low on the wall where they should be, how do you get the ductwork through the header at the top of the wall. There must be a way....

B-Man

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-02, 05:24 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Bman8950:

It is very difficult to offer suggestions when there is little description of the project and construction details.

Can you not go overhead and install ceiling registers?

Old 12-07-02, 06:45 AM
Bman8950
Visiting Guest
ductwork

Absolutely, ceiling registers were my second choice. But naturally, I was trying to find out if there was a way to get them low on the wall as this would be the ideal place for heat.

Old 12-07-02, 07:05 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Bman8950:

It is difficult to say if it would be structurally possible to cut out the top plate for the ductwork.

If your addition were well insulated and the return air well placed, grill location would make little difference in comfort level.

Old 12-07-02, 10:26 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
duct work

We would put the registers about 12 " out from the walls in the ceiling. Useing a 2 /14 X10" 12" 14" reg. have to look at the book for how much they will cover of the wall. This will tend to blow the heat down to the floor. I would not cut the top plates. ED

Old 12-07-02, 08:33 PM
Bman8950
Visiting Guest
Thanx for all the responses. Have decided to bump up the insulation and just go with the ceiling registers. Seems to be alot easier that way.