Oil Furnace Smell

Old 12-07-02, 07:25 PM
TonyG
Visiting Guest
Question Oil Furnace Smell

Our oil furnace has started to have a strong odor when running. Could this be the nozzle not spraying out correctly? Or enen worse the furnace burning out. This started at the end of last year and seems like it got much worse the last time we got oil last week. Looking for any possibilities.

Old 12-08-02, 04:51 AM
fjrachel
Visiting Guest
Have the unit checked out by a pro. Could just be a simple tune up of the burner.......

Old 12-08-02, 12:45 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tony G: Great post man. I was going to write the same posting. My 1957 home (oil heat) at times has an oil smell when running. Its not that strong but I can smell it. My wife is pregnant and want ot ensure her/baby safety. Have you found anything out on the furnace side? Thanks and good luck. Peace: e3

Old 12-08-02, 06:58 PM
oil burner

To start ,when was the last time you had the burner worked on?
Is this a new nozzle? New oil filter and clean? The air tube is ok? the cone head good? No build up of dirt on the blower blades?The transformer is good no miss fire. The electrodes are set right.It has a good CO2 read out and stack temp is good.This done with a combustion test kit
AND YOU ASK WHY DO I SMELL OIL? ED

Old 12-15-02, 04:35 PM
S
Tony: From my discussions with other people (Oil guys, and contractors) they recommend a cleaning. I have the oil guys here coming this week to do a clean/inspection. Smell is still there and pops up every now and then.

Any luck w. yours? Peace: e3 - spamman

Old 12-15-02, 07:12 PM
When you say furnace, I assume you mean warm air heat. Not hot water or steam. Furnaces have one or two more ways to cause an odor than boilers do. If you don' have sufficient draft, like if the base of the chimney is blocked or heat exchanger is clogged with scale and soot, the burner will force not burn clean anymore and the pressure will be pushed out the sight door and possibly draft regulator. If the heat exchanger is bad, that means that somewhere there is a hole rusted or burned in the big drum that carries the flame to the chimney and when the burner starts some of the byproducts of combustion are forced into your duct system. The good news is that as soon as the blower starts up it reverses that flow and blows house air back into the heat exchanger. Thats why you don't smell it all the time. Just on a cold start. There are ways that a service tech. can check the heat exchanger without tearing the furnace apart and you should make sure that you ask him to test the heat exchanger for you. Either with a blower-on blower-off draft test over the fire, or with a smoke candle. The draft test is easiest. A good cleaning and combustion setup will take care of 95 out of 100 smell complaints, but don't rule out the other possibilities.

Old 12-23-02, 03:59 PM
SalG
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Sharp, Pungent Odor

We have a forced air, gas furnace that is over 10 years old. There is a sharp, pungent odor coming out when the heater goes on. If we run the fan by itself, there is no odor. In the summer, Iíd smell it faintly but thought it had to do with all the painting we were doing. We also had the duct work cleaned including the coil and fan blower last Fall (between a/c and heat seasons).

We just asked a HVAC man about it and he said it was probably the heat exchanger being old and dirty that is causing the odor. He said the cost to have it removed and checked would be half way to replacing the furnace and that we might want to consider that. He said the odor isnít harmful but wouldnít go away. It is not acceptable for us so we need to find a solution.

I searched the board and found the response above from Kfield. I am wondering if the suggestions there apply to our situation? Also, any other advice based on our particular case? I donít know why the man we talked to didnít suggest the heat exchanger test if it can be done without removing the blower, etc. Ö unless he is just trying to sell a furnace or just isnít very good at what he does.

Thank you for your help. We have guests coming to stay for a few days and hate to be subjecting them to this smell.

Last edited by SalG; 12-23-02 at 04:38 PM.
Old 12-23-02, 04:27 PM
oil burner

When did you last have this furnace, oil burner, looked at?????????
Is the flue ok, you have a good draft reading on the flue? You do have to have the burner looked at from time to time. The nozzle good . No delay on light up? It lights smooth?You dont have to take the furnace apart to check it out. One way is to warm it up and put a small smoke bomb inside the heat exchanger. Thats what we do. Do you have any small black lines on any of the registersor on thewall by them??Get some one that knows oil burners to go over it. OK ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: