heat pump

Old 12-08-02, 10:59 AM
Jim Aponte
Visiting Guest
heat pump

Have a heat pump that's blowng cold air. Recently had a service co. replace the outside fan motor. Is the problem related to the motor just replaced?
Now I'm able to get heat in the emergency mode only not in the normal heat setting. Are the heating elements replacable? Unsure of how to fix? If the heat elements work in the emergency mode shouldn't they work when in the normal "heat setting" ?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-02, 12:12 PM
fjrachel
Visiting Guest
Your em heat is also the 2nd stage heat in normal mode and will only come into play when the temp in the house drops too low for the heat pump to keep the temp setting. If you are located in a cold area, your heat pump may be doing all it can. What is the temp of air coming out of the vents? You should have about a 20d spread between air in and air out.

Old 12-08-02, 02:55 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
heat pump

emergency heat locks out first stage which is the outdoor unit and operates strictly on stage 2, most likely resistance in your case. typically the pump only will run as long a setpoint is within 3 degrees of room temp. more than that, and auxiliary heat (2nd stage) kicks in until the differential is back down.

Old 12-10-02, 06:53 AM
Jim Aponte
Visiting Guest
heat pump blowing cold air

Thanks for your quick reply....
my past experience was that we could feel much warmer air than what we currently have. I agree that it has never been hot, it just seems the the first stage heating elements never kick on. I was expecting a least the same heat I feel when I manually shift to the emergency mode.
I thought I could perhaps save some dollars by checking and/ or changing out the primary heating elements myself, without having to call in the local service company.
My neighbor who has the same system was charged $2,000 for what seemed to be exactly the same problem. I'm trying to avoid paying a premium because when its cold and you need heat....welll....kinda like b'tween a rock and a hard place.
The inside unit is a Carrier but I don't have a manual and I was hopeful that it could be a fix that I could do. Is there a possibility that when the fan motor was replaced (2 weeks ago) that something in the outside unit was not properly connected?
Assuming that the elements need for a service co. to come in and replace what should I expect the cost to be....
if it's my only option, then I'll call a service co. in... I just would like to keep from being taking to the cleaners!!!!

frustrated and cold!!!!!

Thanks!!!!

Old 12-10-02, 04:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
little confused

you mention first stage heating elements. as stated first stage is heat pump, second is aux heat strip. you may have more than one bank of strips, and they are activated by either staging through a sequencer or a W3 terminal at the tstat which i doubt you have. as for new o/d fan causing possible problem now, they may have knocked the reversing valve wire loose, and it is now running in cooling, with the strips fighting back, just a thought.