high efficiency furnace & gas dryer vent

Old 12-07-02, 06:10 AM
briansaf
Visiting Guest
high efficiency furnace & gas dryer vent

Half of my basement is a finished family room. The other half is unfinished and contains my gas dryer/washer and new Trane XR high efff. gas furnace which vents outside.

The gas dryer vent is 2 feet from the furnace intake/exshaust.

The installer mentioned code that the exhaust has to be 10 feet from the dryer vent (combustion fumes I guess) -

I said I would re-route the dryer vent - unfortunetly it means going into my family room - space requirements

My question is this.

Is it dangerous to have the gas dryer vent 2 feet away from the intake/exhuast for the furnace?

If not, I'm inclined to leave it where it is.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-07-02, 06:44 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
dryer vent

i would give the dryer vent at least 4 ft clearance from the combustion air intake. i am sure there is a code for this, but am not sure in your area. trane might have the answer in their install guide, if you have it.

Old 12-07-02, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Smile This is a tricky one.

briansaf:

The deciding factor in where the vents are placed will be what the local code says.
If the code does not specifically cover this situation then the mfr's recommendation would have to be followed.

Having the vents so close together could affect the operation of the furnace.
Although the odds are remote, it wouldn't be worth the risk.

Also if the vent for the drier has to be moved a fair distance away, you must be carefull to follow the drier mfr's recommendation for vent sizing.
You may likely have to up the vent size to 5" or 6".
Make sure that when you relocate the vent that you keep the ducting accessible for cleaning.

Old 12-07-02, 07:50 AM
briansaf
Visiting Guest
Nothing is ever easy.....ughhhh

Old 12-07-02, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
briansaf:

If the installer pointed out that the vents are not in the correct location and he installed them, would he not be responsible.

If the drier was existing, then he would be responsible for an installation that didn't meet code.

Old 12-09-02, 09:23 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Why not simply modify the furnace vent so it will go up a few ft after exiting the house? Then you could have your 4 ft distance.
I'm guessing that they're trying to avoid dryer exaust (which is not very clean, and may contain unburned particles) being sucked back into the furnace, and either cause a fire or other things.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: