Non stop heat from electric furnace

Old 12-10-02, 12:34 PM
Doit Myself Joe
Visiting Guest
Question Non stop heat from electric furnace

I have a Lux model TX 9000 programmable thermostat (installed last spring) (version 1.6) hooked up to a Rheem model REAB 1425 T electric furnace. I couldn't find a date on it , but it's UL listed as a electric central heating furnace 617S. It's installed downstairs in our laundry room and the thermostat is upstairs. We have a split entry 1800sf home and this is the only source of heat. It runs fine all day, but every evening around 8 or 9 it won't shut off unitl you kill the breakers. We leave it off at night for safety reasons and in the morning when we turn it back on it runs fine until the evening comes again. Also it seems that this year some of the rooms are colder than before or should I say they don't get as warm with the heat on, compared to the rest of the house, like they did last year. no dampners have been adjusted. I changed the filter about 3 weeks ago and this problem satrted about a week ago. The temp here has been on the 50's - 60's during the day and 40's - 50's at night. Can you tell me possible causes and remedies for this problem?

Last edited by Doit Myself Joe; 12-10-02 at 01:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-02, 04:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
check

the heating element, you might have lost one. visually inspect it for breakage and see if it is pulling any amps if possible

Old 12-10-02, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Doit Myself Joe:

Is it possible that the programming is out of whack on the thermostat.

Check the program and when it won't shut off, turn the system to off and check it. If that doesn't do it, remove the Y wire from the furnace to see if it stops.

It's the heat that doesn't stop...... right? Or just the fan? It gets too hot .....right?

Old 12-10-02, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator
Red face Oops, I goofed!

Remove the W wire which is for heat, not the Y wire which is for A/C.

(Thanks hvac4u!)

Old 12-11-02, 02:23 PM
Doit Myself Joe
Visiting Guest
I contacted Lux who sugested I try replacing the batteries in the thermostat. They said they should last at least a year, but it was the best place to start. So far it's working fine. I'll give it a few days and see. By the way the fan and heat stay on when you turn it off at the thermostat. I'll try unhooking the wires if it does it again. They suggested the G wire. I'll try them all one at a time if need be. Thanks

Old 12-11-02, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator
Doit Myself Joe:

You could confirm that the wires are connected to the correct terminal.
Don't trust the colors. Write down the terminal ID at the furnace and then go to the stat and see if they go to the right place.

Terminal: R - power from transformer- remove and all should stop, W - remove and heat should stop and fan after possible delay, Y - remove and A/C should stop, G - remove and fan should stop if not heating.