Heating and air flow issues

Old 12-11-02, 08:24 AM
GAB57
Visiting Guest
Angry Heating and air flow issues

Last Thanksgiving I had the air-blower unit of my electric central air-and-heating unit in the attic replaced since the old one was a single-speed blower causing the heated air to cool down before it came out of the registers. This problem causes huge utility bills ($400 and $500 for December and January in Louisiana). The new air-blower has dual speeds one for heating and one for cooling. But, while the bills went down am still experiencing the following problems and was hoping you could help:

1.- The temperature in between room varies significantly (over 8 to 10 degrees).
2.- The amount of air flow still seems to be too much to move hot air causing the air to cool down.
3.- Once the heating unit shuts off the blower continues to blow air for about a minute which I been told is normal but the air it blows is cool enough to quickly bring the temperature down causing the unit to go on and off every 2 to 4 minutes.

I have had the technicians who installed the unit come out to see what is wrong and I was told I need dampers installed and was given a estimate of $400 (for 11 drops) to do this. How will a damper correct the air temperature issues? I know it will probably reduce the amount of air coming out of the registers but I do not understand how it will help with the air temperature. Also, if dampers is what I need can you suggest a guide on how to do-it-myself?

This is the first month of temperatures in the 40s and 30s for us in Louisiana and am not looking forward to those huge heating bills. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Any suggestions and help will be greatly appreciated.

GAB57

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-02, 12:06 PM
rclhvac
Visiting Guest
Sounds like the the thermostat may be short cycling- has it been replaced or adjusted recently?

Old 12-11-02, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
GAB57:

If you provide more info that would be great!

Style, size & layout of your home, amount of insulation in walls and ceiling, type of windows, KW capacity of the furnace, how long have you owned this home and has it always been like this, does the air coming out of all the ducts seem the same volume.

Nosey eh?

Old 12-12-02, 01:47 PM
GAB57
Visiting Guest
This is a 50 year old house about 1800 sqft single story w/3br and bthrs, kitchen, dining, leaving & den. It has a crawl space under it and there is no insulation under the subflooring, the exterior walls are insulated and the attic has old insulation in about 75% and 25% has new insulation. The indows are wooden. Am not sure about the KW capacity, this is an electric unit. I have been in this house for only two years and even after the single speed blower was replaced to a dual speed or variable speed blower the volume is the same. Also, it is very noise and I think it is because most, almost all, the duct work is sheet metal.

What do you think about re-doing the duct work and adding dampers?

Old 12-12-02, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Sounds like things are a little out of whack.

GAB57:

For the air to be coming out of the ductwork cold there are two likely causes.

1. The furnace is too small for the space or some elements are burnt out.

2. The airflow is too fast to allow a reasonable temperature rise.

I would suspect it is reason number one considering that the house never warms up.

The cause of inconsistant heat throughout the house could be due to slowing down the air flow to raise the discharge temp of the air.

If you look at the tag on the furnace it should say the KW rating.

Did the fan installer do a thorough check of the elements?

Did this thing ever work properly?