Air Conditioning Question

Old 12-14-02, 08:35 AM
Tom86951
Visiting Guest
How much to expect from central air?

I am trying to rent a house with central air in Miami. The house is 2600 square feet, and it has one large Trane a/c system. When I went for my move-in inspection, the a/c had been off for weeks, and the house was hot inside. I turned on the a/c and waited about an hour and a half. It went from 81 to 79 over the course of that time. We left it on overnight, and the next afternoon the interior of the house was 72 (it was set at 68 and was about 84 outside with 40-50% humidity). Am I crazy to be worried about the a/c? In my experience, properly functioning systems are able to cool a house much quicker, and shouldn't it be able to acheive 68 degrees inside under those whether conditions? Opinions would be very welcome. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-02, 08:44 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
a/c performance

after having been off for a while as you describe, the house is holding a lot of humidity, not just in the air, but furnishings, walls, etc. especially in miami. a good test is to check temp difference between supply and return. a properly functioning system will give a 16 to 20 degree drop.

Old 12-14-02, 09:02 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
AC

Like hvac4u said down here it will take you about 5 to 7 days to get the whole home dried out and the humidity down in the home. Then you will put the t-stat back up to 76 or so and feel cool
Thats like if we have a day or so thats cool it doesnt pay to open the windows for that little bit . If you do its all over again ,it will take you about the 5 days to get it dried out again ED