Help adjusting boiler burners, w/pics

Old 12-14-02, 12:47 PM
bigpoppax2
Visiting Guest
Question Help adjusting boiler burners, w/pics

Ok I have a Basmor Boiler, I have no idea how old it is. Only that the house was built in 1936. Last weekend I took it upon myself to take apart the manifold and all 80 of the burners to clean them.

Reason for the cleaning, there were about 30 or so of the burners that weren't burning at all. Ok all is good with the world, they are all burning.

The only source for air to get into the system is actually at the burner port itself. Granted all of the burners are burning, but they do not have the correct flame. There is a lot of orange and yellow in the flame.

Attached I have a picture of the inside of my furnace. If someone could tell me where to adjust the air comming into the ports. I should be able to get the correct flame (green inside and blue outside of the flame kernel)

In the picture you can see the burner port (which is threaded), the burner tube, and the base of the burner that has the hex nut with the air holes in it. I am assuming this is where some kind of adjustment is needed. There is a little piece of metal kind of like a little apron, for lack of a better description, that fits over the burner tube and hides the hex nut.

I am hoping the adjsutment is not in turning the burner port ( the part the flame actually comes out of) because I tried to break three of them loose to see if adjusting that would do anything. I broke all three of them. They are old and very brittle. You can see one of the broken ones in the attached picture.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can shed some light on my dilemma.

Ok the attach file didn't work I'll e-mail anyone the pictures if they want to see.

Old 12-14-02, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 51 Votes on 48 Posts
bigpoppax2

At this time the only way for us to see a picture is for you to find a place to host the picture and then provide a link.

Soon we will be able to imbed the link and have the pic appear here

Are the burners physically broken.

Old 12-14-02, 01:47 PM
bigpoppax2
Visiting Guest
Well a few of the burner ports are not attached very well (the ones I broke). But all in all, everything looks as it should. I just need to figure out where the air is supposed to mix with the gas, and adjust it accordingly.

Just so you know, the gas line is a hard line all the way to the manifold, so the only place air could mix would be at the holes in the bottom of each of the burners (covered by the little metal apron).

If I could e-mail you the pics you would really be able to see what I have here. It's hard to describe what I'm looking at in words alone.

Old 12-14-02, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator
bigpoppax2:

The burners that I'm familiar with have a manifold, which supplies gas to each burner and an adjustable air vent which you may be calling apron.
The burner will be fixed to the manifold and the air vent will move to allow the air to each burner to be adjusted.

The ones I'm familiar with rotate to open and close. They are often corroded and need a litle persuasion to move.

Caution:

You now may have a situation that makes your furnace dangerous to use.
If the burner attachment to the manifold is actually broken you should not use this furnace.
A dangerous condition exists in that gas will leak from this area with disasterous results.

My advice would be for you to seek a qualified heating contractor to look at this for you.

Old 12-15-02, 06:16 AM
bigpoppax2
Visiting Guest
I know the type of adjuster you speak of. I do not have anything like that. Like I said before there is no way of air getting into the gas stream untill it is actually at each separate burner, and no I do not have any gas leaks.

Again the gas line is a hard line all the way to the manifold, the only things in-line is a cut-off valve, a pressure regulator and the valve controlled by the thermostat (cuts the gas on and off).

My burners thread down into my manifold (which is cast iron). There is no gas present from the burners back to the valve controlled by the thermostat, so I'm not in any kind of dangerous situation.

I'm a little dissapointed, this is the first question I've asked on here that no one has been able to answer

Again, if you had a disposable yahoo or hotmail account I'd send you a picture and you would be able to se what the heck I'm talking about. Without seeing it I doubt anyone could help. Unless they are a furnace guru, that works on older ones quite a bit.

Old 12-15-02, 06:41 AM
Super Moderator
bigpoppax2:

I'm sorry you are not pleased with our service.

NO!, I do not have a disposable e-mail account and I don't intend to set one up for this purpose.
I wade through enough junk without asking for more.

Like I suggested, if YOU find a site that can host your picture many people will likely see it and be able to offer help.

I'm not sure how to do it, but if you post that as a thread title someone can help with that.

Have a great day!

Old 12-15-02, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator
bigpoppax2:

I located two places that will host free space for posting pictures.

http://50megs.com/cgi-bin/show_me?wrap=1&page=hosting_compare.htm

http://www.megspace.com/index2.html

Shortly this forum will have the ability to have pictures show up here.

http://forum.doityourself.com/misc.php?action=bbcode

My reference to a gas leak was because you mentioned that you broke three burners and they are not attached very well.

The problem with this is that if the burners are not correctly fastened to the manifold, the gas may escape while the burners are in operation and a flame could exist where it shouldn't.

Again, again, if you post the pics we'd be glad to look at them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: