No Hot Water..Furnace

Old 12-15-02, 04:16 PM
Katelin
Visiting Guest
No Hot Water..Furnace

I reallly need somebodys help Something is wrong with my furnace...here is what is happening:

Turn on the water...gets a little hot...then after a few seconds..turns luke warm...then cold!

In the morning when I take a shower..I have to let it heat up for a few minutes..and it is barely tolerable with the hot water fully turned on! It is lukewarm!!??

Please..any advise would be appreciated...I have an oil burning water heater. It also runs my heat..(forced hot water) and I am afraid I am going to be freezing in my house!!!

Puh-leeeze help me!!! ANy advice!!!

Thanks,
Shivering Katelin!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-02, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Katelin:

There is a good possibility that the boiler water temp is set to low.

Depending on your set-up, the temp should be between 140 and 160 deg F.
There should be a thermometer on the boiler where you can check this.

Also if you need more info, you can read the anouncement at the top of this forum to know what info we need.

Old 12-15-02, 04:54 PM
Katelin
Visiting Guest
As far as I know it is WAY up..at 210 degrees..

Old 12-15-02, 05:34 PM
Katelin
Visiting Guest
Ok..the pipes are pretty hot...my water heater is in the basement of the building and I am on the second floor...does that help in finding a solution?

Thanks all..Katelin!

Old 12-15-02, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Katelin:

I'm very sorry but we need to know every intimate detail about your mechanical and plumbing systems to be able to help.

In order for you to do anything about this yourself, you have to be able to provide some simple technical details.

Read through the anouncement as suggested to get a feel for what we need to know.

Heating system repair is not for everyone. It may be better to call a pro.

Old 12-15-02, 07:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The heating system and domestic hot water parts of your boiler are connected, but not having hot water at the faucets does not necessarily mean you won't have heat. If the boiler temp is turned WAY up like you say and the burner runs on a call for heat, you're half way there. You should find out if the domestic hot water runs directly through a coil in the boiler and if you might have a tempering valve. It is a weird looking thing near the boiler with a pionter or dial on one end (usually the top) and 3 pipes connected to it. The small copper ones, not the big heating size pipes. If you have one of these (and I sort of hope you do if your high limit is set at 210 deg.) the element is probably defective or has mineral buildup on it. Do you have hard water? That is a possible cause. More info please.

Old 12-15-02, 07:36 PM
Katelin
Visiting Guest
KFIELD!!! You are THE MAN! I think that is what it is...my landlord said that they had something similar happen before..and they replaced what you are describing as the tempering valve. I checked it out..and it looks like there is buildup on the outside joints...I bet this is it! That sounds about right huh??? Considering my current water situation!?
In case ya forgot...I have hot water (well kinda hot), followed by lukewarm, then cold..
Another possible cause I stumbled upon is that there is a possibility that the dip tube is split or broken. It's a plastic tube that sits on a ring in the cold-water port and takes the incoming cold water to the bottom of the tank to be heated. Hot water rises. So if the tube breaks or splits or falls into the tank for some reason, you get a little hot water, then lukewarm or cold water because the cold is entering and mixing with the hot right at the top of the tank.

What do you all think??? I have never NEVER been able to fill my tub up for a nice hot bath! IN the 3 years I have been here.. That is just on a side note...

Thanks for looking...and trying to help me figure out a possible solution...

xo Katelin

Old 12-15-02, 07:59 PM
I just wrote a long winded reply and lost it somehow so here goes again. If you have a boiler with a domestic hot water coil, you probably don't have a tank or a dip tube. You would know better what's in the basement but your symptoms point to a common tempering valve problem. The 3 pipes connected to your tempering valve are hot (from the coil) cold(from house plumbing) and mixed(to hot water faucets). What happens is a small valve is actuated by a temperature sensitive element inside and it mixes cold water with the real hot water from the coil to give you a safe temp at the faucets. If the valve sticks it will add cold water all the time so even warm water is made colder. Try turning the knob or pointer back and forth a few times but beware. The valve may leak afterwards and need professional attention and you could be blamed. They are usually hard to turn after a few years too. Also check a few other settings on your operating control. You obviously know where the high limit setting is. Set the low limit at 180 and find the differential setting and put it at the lowest possible setting. Either 5 or 10. That should help too.

Old 12-15-02, 08:17 PM
Katelin
Visiting Guest
Thanks KField

Just want to be sure ya realize...that the water starts to come out hot (on my sink) then turns lukewarm getting cooler and cooler.

Also...my shower..ARRRGGG is COLD..then slowly warms up after about 10 MINUTES...but is just barely tolerable..brrrrrrr

When this thing gets fixed..I am going to take a nice HOT bubble bath!

xo Katelin

Old 12-15-02, 08:29 PM
A few more details if you are interested. You need a good shower head. Not expensive, just good. I like the Ondine 28446. It doesn't use much water but it really blasts out, unlike most garbage shower heads. The coil in the boiler is rated for a certain water flow in gallons per minute. You will probably never get to turn the bathtub faucet on full and get a tub full of hot water because the bathtub faucet flows water WAY faster that your boiler can make it. You need to run the water slowly and you will probably succeed in getting a tub full.

If you find that your equipment differs from what I am assuming, post the info here and you will get a much better asessment of the problem.

Old 12-16-02, 03:38 PM
Katelin
Visiting Guest
Well it is a boiler...if that helps?