Wall Furnace Problem

Old 12-16-02, 03:14 PM
Sarah J
Visiting Guest
Question Dayton Natural Gas wall heater

with ITT controls. What would cause it to flash fire from the burner thru the venturi when it goes from heat to pilot mode. It makes a shot like popping noise when this happens. The fire in the venturi will burn until I blow it out.

I called a couple of local "repair services" and was told that it would cost more to fix than to replace. We just bought this place 6 months ago and plan to do some remodeling and install a central heat & air unit in about 18 months. Is there a simple solution to our problem that will get us by in the interim??

Old 12-16-02, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Sarah J:

When you say "goes from heat to pilot mode" do you mean it goes from burning during a heating cycle and then the gas valve closes when the temp is satisfied?

If this is what is happening, then it is likely caused by the gas valve not closing fully.
If this is the case then this furnace is unsafe to use and should not be used until it's repaired.

If you say you will be replacing it in 18 months, that is two heating seasons and is way too long to try to limp through.
It shouldn't cost that much to replace the valve and if a shop isn't interested you should lookaround untill you find one that is.

Besides when you replace it, you may get some of your money back if you try to sell it.

Old 12-16-02, 04:11 PM
Sarah J
Visiting Guest
Greg,

The scenario you stated is exactly what is happening. The control is an ITT model P1732. From looking at this it seems like it would be a simple replacement. We could probably do it ourselves if this is the problem.

Old 12-16-02, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Smile

Sarah J:

Changing a gas valve is someting that I feel is not necessarily a good DIY project.
Although it looks simple it is not like changing a tap or a fan motor.
If something were not done right the consequences may not be pleasant.

For peace of mind, call a pro.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: