Gurgling sound from Oil Burner

Old 12-17-02, 03:02 PM
TheZman
Visiting Guest
Smile Gurgling sound from Oil Burner

I recently had my oil furnace tuned-up and I noticed the burner is making this gurgling sound. I believe it is coming from the pump and the operation of the furnace appears to be unhindered.

What is this noise ? Is it possible some air got in this there when he changed the oil filter. I am not too impressed with these guys they forgot to turn the power back on the furnace when they left.

Regards TheZman

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-02, 04:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
oil burner

Gurgling sound?Sorry but this is the first time I have heard this.
Where you there when they worked on the burner? Any water in the filter when they took it off?Did they bleed the pump good when they worked on it and fire it up?This is how you would get the air out of the filter. How could they if they left with the furnace off. There is a small plug on the pump that you back off some and turn the burner on this will get the air out for you. But dont open it to far as it has a 100 psi in it. as soon as you get all oil close it tight. I dont know if this will help you or not. ED

Old 12-17-02, 04:17 PM
Oil pumps

Back again :the pump is not sucking air at the filter is it?? ED

Old 12-17-02, 05:04 PM
TheZman
Visiting Guest
Thanks Ed for both suggestions.

I will try bleeding the pump and checking the filter.

Next time, I will ask for a service guy with some grey hair (or at least balding somewhat) ha ha ha. This guy was pretty young.

Best Regards TheZman

Old 12-17-02, 06:38 PM
You won't get any gurgling out of a fuel pump. Maybe a whining if there is air in it. Gurgling is air in the heating system. Unless you want to change to another word, don't work on the burner for gurgling.

Old 12-20-02, 02:24 PM
TheZman
Visiting Guest
Thanks Ed,

I bled the pump, a half pint of foamy fuel oil came out and the gurgling is now gone.

That's 3 mistakes this service tech made. He didn't bleed the pump, he got a piece of debris inside the blower (and it rattled for a day or so) and forgot to turn on the breaker.

Best Regards for a Happy Holiday Season !