Heating & Cooling Bonus room

Old 12-17-02, 09:26 PM
Heating & Cooling Bonus room

We have just finished drywalling and carpeting a bonus room above our garage. We are wanting to heat and cool this area. We instulated the room before we finished it and it is about 32' by 25'. We are looking for suggestions on heat and cool this area.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-02, 04:04 AM
Super Moderator
rogerh:

What heats the rest of the house?
Is the floor insulated?
Do you know the heating load?

Old 12-18-02, 09:38 AM
Greg:
The rest of the house is gas forced air but that furnace is not large enough to do the bonus room too. The floor is not insulated but I plan on doing that after I get the heating plant installed. I don't know the heat load.

Thanks for your reply.

Old 12-18-02, 12:26 PM
Brewbeer
Visiting Guest
If the floor is already finished, how are you going to install insulation under it?

Possible options could include natural gas direct-vent space heater(s), wood stove, pellet stove, or, it the floor hadn't been finished, radiant floor heat by a gas fired hot water heater.

Old 12-18-02, 02:13 PM
It is best that you don't try to connect it to the main house system. That room is different than the rest of the house and would be difficult to control. I hate heat pumps but you might consider a split system heat pump like sanyo or others sell. It will give you a/c which you will obviously need and some heat too. You should probably plan on using the 18,000 btu model. That may be overkill on the cooling but it wil be close for heat. Actually you don't need to be a wizard to install one either. If you could install it on the wall over the garage door, you could probably blanket the room fairly well with air. Hopefully you can get rid of the cold air on the floor by letting it gravitate into the existing house. Something to think about anyway.