fireplace draft problem

Old 12-18-02, 10:02 AM
newfie_dude
Visiting Guest
fireplace draft problem

I have just moved into a house with a fireplace, and I am having trouble with the back draft. I have figured out how to reduce/eliminate the back draft when I first light the fire by priming the chimney (putting a newspaper up in the chimney and lighting it) before I light the fire, but I still get a back draft after the fire has been going for a while. I might have the fire going for an hour or so and then start getting the smell of smoke through the house. Then I have to close the glass doors and I don't get the heat from the fire. The chimney is used for both the fireplace and the oil furnace so I turn the furnace down enough so it doesn't cut in. I would appreciate any advice I can get to help me with the problem.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-02, 10:51 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
fireplace

First dont know where you are, but code would not let the oilburner and fireplace on the same flue.Do you have any make up air coming into the home for the fireplace? What happens when you open a window or door near the fireplace. Do you have a dryer running in the home also at this time?When you close the doors you do have a draft gate there that you can open.Is this fireplace on an out side wall with a ash dump in it that goes out side? If so let the clean out open some and put some thing in the dump door to let air in for the fire. See if this doesnt stop the smoke in the home.A fireplace in a home needs lots of air or it will smoke. Is this a new home or old one? ED

Old 12-18-02, 11:25 AM
newfie_dude
Visiting Guest
I'm in Ottawa, Canada. I don't like the idea of 1 flue for both, but unfortunately I'm renting so I can't change it. The house is an older house, but it is pretty air tight. New windows were installed throughout the house last year, and the doors also seal very good when closed. I never thought about the dryer, but I'm pretty sure it hasn't been running every time I have a fire going. I will take notice of that the next time however. The house had a garage built onto it after the fact, so the fireplace is on what used to be an outside wall, but now it's a wall inside the garage. Also, the fireplace does not have an ash dump so the ashes need to be cleaned out manually from inside the house. The fireplace has a gate and glass doors, so I usually leave the doors open. When I close the door I don't get the smoke, but I don't get the heat either. There is a vent but I don't think it offers the fire much air.

Old 12-18-02, 12:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
fireplace

OK Try and open a door or window close by when you have a fire going and see if that dont stop the smoke.I dont think you can do this renting. Id say cut a hole for a 4" dryer vent into the garage right next to the fire place so it can get air and plug it when no fire.The set up you have with the doors is like an old furnace.You built a fire and get it going then you close the doors on it and open or close down the small draft doors to just keep the fire burning.Down here we use what's called a heatalater. This is a steel shell for the fireplace and another shell around it. This way with a fire going we can put small fans that blow the air in the outer shell and blow the hot air out into the room .From what you say they did to the home I think you need air for the fireplace ED