residential boiler unit

Old 12-21-02, 09:17 AM
hooks542
Visiting Guest
residential boiler unit

Please Help
It is Saturday morning and the relief valve on my Burnham boiler is leaking all over the floor. I replaced the relief valve, because I never preformed the annual 5-10 second flush and this did not help. Is it possible that it is the expansion tank needs a charge and how do I do this?? Any help would be great. The pressure guage on the unit shows the water going almost to 35 lbs and the leak stops at about 28 lbs.

Thanks in advance
hooks 542

Old 12-21-02, 11:18 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Either the automatic feed is overfeeding or the expansion tank is full or defective. If you have a bladder tank, you can try recharging it but it is probably shot. Turn off the feed water and take enough water out of the boiler to drop the pressure to 10psi. Pressurize the expansion tank to 12psi and try it. If you hear the air going into the heating system, stop filling and replace the tank. If you have the old style tank (large and mounted at ceiling) you have to drain it. All the way. Not just a bucket or two. Isolate it from the heating system and open the drain. It may have a small plug you can remove to let air back into it to make it drain faster. Seal that plug up well when you are finished.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: