Furnace Problems

Old 12-26-02, 07:11 AM
dtn63
Visiting Guest
Gas Furnace, Won't turn back on - Auto

Hi! I have a 7 year old forced air gas furnace (no pilot light) that I'm having problems with. When the thermostat is set to "Auto", it runs okay for one cycle but it will not come back on automatically. I can get it started again by turning the "Heat/Off/Cold" switch on the thermostat down to "Cold" and immediately back to "Heat" . Every so often it tries to come back on but the blower won't kick in and therefore it doesn't heat the house at all. It's not so bad if we're home & awake since I can get it restarted again, but if we're asleep or not at home, we get a really cold house since we're not able to restart it manually. I'm hoping it's something I can fix myself since I don't have the money to have a repairman come in right now.

Old 12-26-02, 08:08 AM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
Which portion won't come back on- the burners or the fan that circulates air thru the ducts? If you set the fan switch to ON and the system switch to Heat, what happens? What should happen is the fan [the one that circulates air thru the ducts] should run full time and the burners should cycle on/off in response to the thermostat. If it's the circulating fan that won't come on every time, the problem/cure will depend on how your furnace is designed. Some furnaces have a fan control that senses the temperature of the furnace which turns the fan on and off. On others, the control board operates the fan in response to preset time frames. Follow the wires form the fan motor and see where they go. Any chance you can post some pics of the furnace controls and/or the wiring diagram?

Old 12-26-02, 08:47 AM
dtn63
Visiting Guest
When it's set on "Heat" and "On" the fan usually runs constantly. The heat stays on until it reaches the set temperate but doesn't come back on when it should. The fan continues to blow cold air while it's set to "on" although last night the fan stopped working during the night too. I manually started it again this morning (by switching it to Cold then Heat) so the heat works, it's just getting it to come back on by itself that's the problem. I don't have a scanner to scan a picture into my computer -- not quite that high tech yet. When I get home tonight, I'll check on the model number -- if that will help.

Thanks!!

Debbie

Old 12-26-02, 10:28 AM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
Look inside the furnace and see if it has a module with some led lights on it. Sometimes on a no heat problem, one of the lights will flash a code, for example 1 flash means one thng, 2 falshes indicates another type problem and so on. If you have that type of setup, look for a chart inside the furnace [or inside the cover] that explains the codes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: