how to clean ducts

Old 12-26-02, 11:41 AM
dsiegris
Visiting Guest
how to clean ducts

I recently moved into a 60 year old cape cod. Until this time I have never had trouble with allegies. Living here I am like that nerdy kid we all used to make fun of in 5th grade. I sneeze a lot and get wheezy. I know that the previous owners had pets, and have opened a few return vents to find then riddled with hair and dust. I'd like to clean the entire system out. Can someone explain how to do this to the average home? My wife and son both have allergies and I am effected worse than them.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-02, 11:48 AM
L
Mr. Kiss
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I recommend calling a duct cleaning contractor, they're relatively inexpensive and have all the correct tools for the job.

Old 12-26-02, 12:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
duct cleaning

where is the duct located? is it flex or hard pipe (sheetmetal)? is it accessable?

Old 12-26-02, 01:11 PM
dsiegris
Visiting Guest
how to clean ducts

They all appear to be sheetmetal ducts and seem rather accessible. Of course if I try this, it may prove less accessible than believed.

Old 12-26-02, 01:24 PM
H
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
dust allergies....

Get it done professionally, inform them that you want the coil washed as well. Don't didle with this.... Your meds are more expensive than the cleaning. Once it's cleaned, use pleated 2" air filters, get a case and change them every 90 days no matter how clean they may appear to be.
Life is miserable with dander and pet hair. It can make life unbearable. You don't need the headache. ........ and, and, and, sneeeeeeeeeeezing!

Old 12-26-02, 01:31 PM
dsiegris
Visiting Guest
Unhappy last question

When I look for this service what do I search in the yellow pages under? What are some questions that will single out the good ones versus the guys trying to shtuup me?

Also, after cleaning the ducts should the carpets get re-shampoo'd?

Old 12-26-02, 02:31 PM
H
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
cleaning

make contacts with your allergist (Dr.) and the health inspector. It is a specialty field. If they're no help, Call a big fancy hotel and ask them who they use, speak to the maintenance dept supervisor. you could also contact ASHRAE in your area, for a list of members that do this line of work.

Old 12-26-02, 03:15 PM
dsiegris
Visiting Guest
Smile thanks

I will be looking into this. I will post what happens, hopefully with good results.